Friday, August 5, 2011

The Garden and A Harvest



.
It's been a busy week (or should I say "half week") back at work. And I'm off again tomorrow for the second leg of my vacation.
.
But I couldn't leave without touching base with my bloggy friends.
.
For the gardeners out there, here's what's blooming in my garden this week. One of the lilies that's in bloom (1st picture, bottom left) has been planted for several years; but this is the first time it's bloomed. And it's really pretty.



Poor garden badly needs a weeding: but Mama needs a vacation slightly more!
.
My vegetable garden plot at the Community Garden has grown great-guns since I was there a week and a half ago. We've had several hot days followed by several rainy days. Just look at this bumper crop of green and yellow beans! I blanched 5 bags of beans for the freezer. But I did get to eat Swiss chard (with oodles of butter and a splash of white vinegar) and beans for dinner last night and tonight. Yum, yum! So delicious! I'll have to pick again next weekend; and then perhaps one more time before my beans are spent. Tomatoes are growing well though.
.
Now my lovelies, I'm off for a 4 day mini-vacation which includes a pirate party on a tall ship and food fit for a Queen.
.
Hmmmm? I wonder what the peasants are doing this weekend?
.
.
PS - Don't forget to drop by Tootsie Time for Fertilizer Friday/ Flaunt Your Flowers Aug. 5/11
.




.





posted by Tootsie at

11 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Your flowers are looking great! And frozen beans for winter? YUM! Have a fun weekend, these peasants are going to a wedding and celebrating our 34th anniversary at the same time! :-) Pamela

Dawn said...

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Hope some pirate doesn't sweep you off your feet and keep you as his treasure, because we want you back.

Your flowers are beautiful.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I LOVE YOUR PICTURE HEADER!!!!!!!
You are absolutely adorable!

Such beautiful flowers.
I've never heard of eating swiss chard that way. Sounds nummy.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Red said...

Nothing beats fresh veggies right out of the garden. Have a geat holiday.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

We'd all eat more vegetables if we could have them fresh out of the garden everyday, wouldn't we? I love this time of year with all of the frest fruits and veggies. Enjoy your vacation....tell us more!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Both your gardens are doing just great. I love fresh green beans and could make a meal out of just them. Enjoy your vacation!

A human kind of human said...

Lucky fish! Enjoy your time as royalty. This peasant will start spring cleaning.

Marguerite said...

I loved the line 'poor garden needs weeding but mama needs a vacation more'. Couldn't have said it better myself. At this point in summer the garden feels like a distant memory, I'd rather be lounging in the sun.

Zootsuitmama said...

Your beans look great. I'm waiting for the next batch, cause we eat them as soon as I pick em! I found you through Linda at Ala Carte! Love your blog.

Sweet Tea said...

Beautiful flowerw, fresh veggies, and now MORE vacation - Girl, you're doing something right. ENJOY!!

Rosie Gan said...

Have a great holiday.We'll do your weeding when you're away.
Rosie

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...