Thursday, October 1, 2015

Rabbit Rabbit Everyone!




Well, haven't I been in my hibernation hole for a long time huh. 


I simply haven't had the time, energy or gumption to blog for months. I've kept up with your blogs just not my own. But now it feels like it's time to start again. I don't know if it's the end of summer's heat and hustle 'n' bustle or perhaps the more quiet, familiar routine of fall .... but it feels right. 





I had a wonderful summer. No kids at all other than a daughter visiting at the end of August. There was lots of downtime, lots of beach and swimming and farm markets and solo musical evenings on the deck. It was a time of much needed breathing space as I changed jobs unexpectedly. But I won't bore you with all that. Let's just get into the joy and happiness of sharing with blog friends.

It's become official: Fall is my favorite season! I love the cool mornings and evenings and the (still) comfortably short-sleeved daytimes. I know that will change soon; tomorrow I guess we'll be needing our galoshes and maybe even a row boat or two! Big rains coming! But for today, I'm still comfortably bare legged. The leaves have only just begun to change; so there's still the excitement of sharing that with my 2 international kids, as well as the anticipation of apples and pumpkins and Thanksgiving in October and all the change and beauty that autumn brings.

I have my returning Japanese student, Chihiro, and a new German girl, Annkatrin. Annkatrin is a bit of a challenge in a completely different way for me. She's no extra trouble; she appears for meals when I call her, she will help when I ask her. But she's so quiet and introverted that she's like a ghost child. She doesn't speak only in 1 or 2 word monotone answers to questions that she's asked; she doesn't seem to have an opinion; even Chihiro has a hard time getting her to talk on their walks to and from school. Usually after a month, most students will begin to feel comfortable and you see some of their personality. But this little one is a tough nut to crack.

I worry about my kids. Every Mom (home and abroad) wants them to enjoy themselves. Perhaps she's like this at home. I know she loved the few little excursions we've taken so far. So perhaps I'm worrying needlessly. Regardless, I shall love her and keep her safe and warm and hope that by the time she's ready to go home, this experience will have helped her to blossom into a new confidence.

She has a sweet tooth, so pumpkin pie and Halloween treats should make her smile.  And Autumn scarecrows, turkey 'n' gravy and colorful leaves are sure to win her over, huh?  



I know they have with me!



It's good to be back my friends.






6 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It is nice to see you and your upbeat posts back on blogger.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Welcome back to bloggerville ! So nice to see your post on my reading list this morning ! Glad you had a great summer and hope your new job is going well. I'm still very much retired and enjoying life in the slow lane. Sounds like your new student is probably very much missing home to me. Knowing you will treat her as one of your own, I'm sure she'll soon feel more cordial. Happy Fall to you !

Pamela Gordon said...

Wow! Welcome back to blogging. I did notice the other day that your last post in my sidebar was months old and I wondered where you were. I'm glad you had a good summer and all is well. Happy Fall to you. Can you believe it's October already? I hope the rain isn't as bad there as it was here. We got about 140 mm in our area and the damage to roads, bridges, etc. is terrible. Take care!

jeannemarie said...

YAY!! I was worried, Checked almost everyday (while I sniped your blog list). Glad you're back!

Judy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only blogger who takes time off...Retired a couple years ago and have not been up to it, and started posting photos again just the other day and went to my reading list and it is like reading old friends...

Lori E said...

Sometimes a break is just what we need. Nice to see you back again.
Isn't Fall the best time ever!!!
It must be very hard to help such a quiet one break out of her shell. What is it that would excite her enough to be animated? What is her bliss? Hmmmmm. I hope you can find it.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...