Monday, October 29, 2018

Come Wander Down Yon Golden Bower...

All last week it rained; then on Friday, gentle snow flakes fell -- just enough to cover everything -- and the temperatures were low enough to sustain the snow that had fallen. But Saturday morning when I drove home from the local market, the sun came out from behind a cloud and THIS is the scene that met me. 
The vibrant orange of the deciduous trees against the snow-covered fir trees was brilliant and beautiful!

So, even before I ate lunch, I dressed and took myself out for a walk on the old rail line walking trail behind my house. 



It was so lovely! Crisp and cold enough for a head covering and gloves but oh, so toasty warm while walking. The walk up that hill to get to the trail is a difficult one as the incline is so steep. But just a few steps onto the trail, and this is what greets you. As I stood there panting, inside my head I heard the beckoning cry of "Come wander down yon golden bower". So off I went. 




As I walked, I listened to my IPod. I've been using my walking time to listen softly to whole albums rather than just favorite songs, and I've been finding some lovely tunes that I've overlooked in the past.

The whole walk takes me about 45 minutes most of which time I'm surrounded by trees and nature. The white snow and white/grey sky were the perfect backdrops for the remaining leaves and bushes. I passed no one on the trail but heard a dog bark, someone chopping wood and then smelled wood smoke from an outdoor fire ... someone burning brush. It was a magnificent day for a walk!


It rained Saturday evening. Then I woke to freezing rain early Sunday, and it rained for the remainder of all day. So, not only is any snow gone, but most of the leaves have fallen. (Winter comes early to Newfoundland.) 

The world was harsher than usual this weekend. Or perhaps I feel it was harsher because I already feel raw and this latest cut is so close to home. But my heart aches for those of you in the U.S. and with the Jewish community. My heart aches. 

I'll leave you with the Ahn Trio and this beautiful, plaintive music.

Shalom! 




3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good thing there is still so much beauty in this world to have hold and see. Tragedies like this weekend's does make our hearts break.

Polly said...

WOW what magnificent colour in your first photo. Such a beautiful walk. I needed a coat for dog walking this morning, it's starting to get chilly :-(

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

There is so much beauty to see and hear in this world and so much horror.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...