Monday, December 2, 2019

Rabbit Rabbit December

Rabbit Rabbit everyone. Christmas month is here.

I've had 3 Xmas's here in Newfoundland, each one worse than the previous. So last year, I did the bare minimum: I didn't decorate other than my memory 'tree' laden with pictures of the people I missed the most. It served it's purpose. 

But a few months ago, I began to think on Christmas and I began to actually get excited about it. I've had a change of attitude that's happened since last year; I don't know how it happened other than through the power of prayer. And although life here is still challenging and I'm still very alone, I feel more settled and content and able to cope with the upcoming long, cold winter. 

So, I decided to decorate and celebrate Xmas for me: not with expectations of the past, but just to celebrate the lights, the music, the joy of Christ, the food, the movies -- ALL the good that the season has to offer.   

As I spent Sunday decorating, I felt happy. Each ornament has a story, a memory, a name attached to it; and it was wonderful to think on these. 





From my 1st Grandma bulb to Ugly Santa, onto Snoopy (who after 37 years is showing some wear), then thru 28 yr old Molly's snowflake, Ayaka's cupcake and finally onto Miley's wrecking ball:  the perfect spot was found for each one.



The same was true for my nativity scene, my Newfoundland mummers and all my Xmas decor. I didn't even take out all my stuff the 1st Xmas here; so it was nice to find those perfect spots and commit them to memory for years to come. One of my favorites is my kitchen window display: it holds all my small Santa and Mrs Clauses. Washing up will be more pleasant now .... 
especially in the dark December evenings when the twinkle lights above make my hanging crystal icicles glitter. So pretty! 

Yes, the month is upon us and before you know it, the big day will come. But there's lots to enjoy leading up to Dec 25th. I hope today you find something beautiful to enrich your life -- even if it's only a good cup of coffee.




4 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It is good for the heart to celebrate and to look for joy. Sometimes it is hidden and other times, it is like a bright shiny ornament that seems too far up the tree to grab. Glad to hear that you are reaching,

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's Christmas in the heart that brings Christmas in the air I got my decorating done this weekend too! Hoping the Christmas spirit keeps you in its grasp! We should never let someone's bad attitude spoil ours. Merry Christmas !

TARYTERRE said...

tis the season that's for sure. i'm decorated too. something about lighting up a tree touches the heart. enjoy these winter days. hopefully it won't be as bad as it was last year.

carolg said...

My kitchen window sill is one of my favorite places to decorate. We spend so much time there!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...