Saturday, February 4, 2023

Welcome to February!



It's been a relatively quiet, icy cold, snowy kind of week here in western Newfoundland. We are in the middle of a polar vortex apparently! So, other than a 15 minute daily walk around the senior's community, I only ventured outside to get milk and visit the library.  

It's just a wee little library here, but of course, they can bring in titles from other libraries in the province. This week, I picked up a few DVD's: I liked Elvis; Uncharted was neah! But I really liked News of the World with Tom Hanks.

My daughter sent me a German advent tea selection which I've really, really enjoyed; they are not as acidic as some herbal teas I've had, and the flavor combos are wonderful. Sadly though, I took a big chip out of one of my favorite pottery mugs. (I cried .... but was grateful that it was my 50 cent purchase and not the $45 Xmas gift.) 

I ate some good food this week though: Tuesday was breakfast-for-dinner with the crispiest bacon, sweet, delicious molasses baked beans and multi-grain toast with lashings of butter, as the Brits say! Yum!





Also delicious was a new Chicken Pad Thai recipe I tried. It's hard to find some ingredients here in rural NL, but this recipe uses things almost everyone has at hand. It calls for 1/4 cup of ketchup in the sauce, and I found the taste of the ketchup really came through, so I think I'd use less next time. Also, I doubled the amount of peanut butter. It doesn't taste like a true pad thai; but it's a really good substitute and quick and easy. I'll definitely make it again. 

Yesterday, my sweet tooth got the better of me, so I tried these trail mix cookies. De-Lish-Shus! I followed the directions re  dropping tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheets, but they must have BIG tablespoons. My cookies were smaller than their photo; but it also meant that I got 2 doz rather than 1 doz cookies. And that's okay with me. When I baked my second batch, I flattened them slightly, so I got a slightly different cookie, more crisp than chewy. But it was a good recipe.

(So good, that I've had to freeze the remaining for fear of inhaling them and ending up with a bigger tummy ache than I have today. Oops! Oink, oink!)

Happy February everyone! A belated "Rabbit, Rabbit"; and I hope you're staying warm where you are and that you're eating well!

Namaste!



3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's really cold here too and I've been staying inside and keeping warm. These days I don't go outside at all so good for you getting out at least 15 minutes. Good food in the winter always puts the weight on here, so I'm trying to watch what I eat. Thankfully February is a short month and then in March Spring arrives!

bahnwärterin said...

-26°C.... this is cold!
but i guess you´r used to.....
your meals and cookies are mouthwatering! and i love your blue patterned plates - but the poor mug.
here - after a whole week of storm, rain and mild but very dark days - the wind changed from west to east and now we have sun and temps under zero again. my arthritis will get in painless modus with this dry weather :-D (if i dont eat pork and wheat of cause).
stay warm and cosy! xxx

Iris Flavia said...

Cold here, too. I only went out to get bread (2km one way, brrrr).
Tom Hanks is a winner nearly always! :-) I don´t know this one but will keep my eyes open! Must look if our library has DVDs, too - good idea!
50 cents?! Wow. Still sad, though.
Oh, when we fly to Australia we often get the British breakfast, too. noooo. A wonder they don´t add Marmite or Vegemite, LOL.
The Chicken looks great, thank you for the recipe! And we have peanut butter and no idea what to do with this.
Inhaling, LOL, I have the same problem with the Greek dish I made! And will make again (will join Rain with that tomorrow).
Eating too well, thank you (but also started training again).

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...