Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 4th follows Canada Day!

HAPPY 4TH to my American friends! I hope you have as nice a day today as I did on Canada Day.
.
I began the day with a leisurely walk through beautiful Mahone Bay. I visited their Farmer's Market and bought fresh bread, Swiss chocolate rolls and spirited apple cider from a local vineyard. I rested near the water with a really delicious cup of coffee and a rhubarb muffin. Red and white were out in full force.
.
Then it was back home to get ready for my potluck Sangria party with my single lady friends. I prepared the Sangria the night before so it had time to soak up all those lovely fruit flavors. Then as people were beginning to arrive, I put it in punch bowls with frozen pineapple juice rings and added 7-UP. It was so refreshing.


.

There were 8 of us on my back deck listening to the birds (and the occasional truck as it travelled up the road behind us). We feasted on 2 different salads, sausage rolls, chicken canapes, brie, salsa & chips and deviled eggs; and dessert was Raspberry Orange upside down cake with huge dollops of real whipped cream.
.

Despite our best intentions, no one made it down to watch the fireworks at 10:30. The party broke up between 9:30 and 10 pm, and we all happily wandered home to our beds and our good books.

.

Oops! Our age is showing!

.

Happy July 4th!

.

.






3 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sounds like a lovely celebration! I love Sangria! I went to a party yesterday and while I enjoyed it was ever so glad to get home and to my bed. I KNOW my age is showing! hugs, Linda

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy 4th to you! It sounds like you had a great celebration. I love the idea of putting frozen pineapple rings in your drink to keep it cold. I'll have to try that sometime. I love pineapple anyway.

Red said...

It's funny how some of us former nightowls wonder home before ten PM!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...