Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ruby Red Rhubarb Syrup

.
I had accumulated quite a collection of frozen rhubarb. So, I decided to try my hand at Rhubarb Syrup.
.
For every 4 cups of diced rhubarb, I added 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water (plus a little grated lemon rind. Simmer for 15-20 min until the rhubarb has completely broken down. Then strain through a fine sieve.
.
(The strawberry fields will soon be open for picking; so I'm saving the solids for Strawberry Rhubarb pies!)
.
Pour the syrup into clean containers; you can refrigerate the syrup for 1-2 weeks or freeze for later use. I'm going to give some of mine as gifts at Christmas.





.





You can drizzle the syrup over vanilla ice cream or poke holes in a plain vanilla or lemon cake with a skewer and pour the syrup over until it soaks in. But my favorite way to use it is to mix it with club soda -- about one part syrup to 3 parts club soda -- over ice with a lime wedge. It's sooooo delicious and refreshing.
.


And it's a nice addition to REDNESDAY! with SueLovesCherries at It's A Very Cherry World!


.


Yummmm! Elixir of the Gods!








14 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

I have only tried rhubarb once, but did not like it. I was much younger and tastes change, so maybe I should give it another try!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I love rhubarb. I've made a sauce with it, love it love it love it, and I've made pies with the fresh. But never thought you could use it as a syrup. Such a good tip.
Thanks much. Look forward to trying it. I'll have to buy some frozen. Our local farm is out of it already.
Blessings, Barb
Looks so pretty in your pitcher.

wendy said...

My mom used to make something like that, was kinda like a rhubarb slushie.
Yumm...
and I love strawberry/rhubarb pie
(but I live pie period)
One of my neighbors up the road brought me a rhubarb cake. Oh my, it was wonderful.

wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red said...

I've juiced my extra rhubarb before. Your recipe sounds like a winner.

Dawn said...

I have never heard of Rhubarb Syrup. Bet its great, I love rhubarb straight out of the garden, I ate it all the time as a kid. Thanks for the great recipe and idea:)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

THis recipe makes me happy that I have a bunch of rhubarb in the freezer.
Thanks for sharing.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

rhubarb is now with TV chefs

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

It Looks Delish !

LV said...

This is new syrup for me. I have never been too fond of rhubarb in any form. This syrup sounds great tho.

Anonymous said...

My husband LOVES rhubarb. It is a stranger to me. But, this looks delicious!

Pat MacKenzie said...

My mother used to make that but never taught me how. Thanks for sharing the recipe. We used to mix it with 7-Up. I love rhubarb.

I like our new header - great picture.

I'lm looking for more NS bloggers to follow (I'm a displaced bluenoser stuck on the prairies). Any suggestions?

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

Not sure if I like rhubarb or not, never had it, but it looks delicious! A beautiful red color!
Your new header picture is so pretty! I loved the one of you jumping too though, it was so full of life:-) Might give your rhubarb a try. Best, Vicki

Marguerite said...

I think I'm going to have to try this. Mixing it with club soda sounds divine.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...