Friday, February 15, 2013

Journeying through the winter blahs


My life is full of changes these days --  big and little ones.  And coupled with winter ice & snow and being surrounded lately with flus & colds, life is leaving me pooped.  I know that at my age (58), it takes more time to adapt to change.  
But scheesch!  Enough already mind and body!  It's been over 2 weeks!    

  • My new Japanese student, Ayaka, is an absolute darling.  But having a new student in the house means I can't operate on auto-pilot:  I must remember to ask her about her day, does she like this food, does she need help with anything.  I have to play my A game when some days I'd just like to sit on the bleechers!
  • I've added daily hours to my regular job so I could take on another day at my second job = an earlier start in the morning, added focus on the work at hand (as opposed to 1/2 hour breaks as I check my blog), shorter lunch hour.
  • I've found an exercise program that doesn't hurt and which is, thankfully, helping my shoulder.  But guess when I go to that exercise program?  My shortened lunch hour!
  • I'm trying really hard to change my eating habits and "Put down the sweetie, Sandy!"  I have good days and bad days.
  • And I've joined a new TOPS chapter in town to help me stay motivated.  But, of course, I couldn't just sit on the sidelines; I'm the secretary for the group.  Did I need another job!

Most of the time, I feel like I'm in the "engaged" position -- from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm!  So, once dinner is finished and as I wait for all that extra energy I'll get from exercising and eating right, I head into "disengage" mode.  And that usually happens on the couch.  All those great new TV shows (The Following; The Face; The Taste; and the new Survivor series) help me to tune out and rest.  But there's also the mini struggle between being gentle on myself and wanting to get on with things.  

Still railing on about it is futile.  This slower adaptation time is all part of the wonderful process of aging.  It's just a laugh riot!


And you know what?  I'm enjoying my couch time.  Plus I know that even though I feel tired now, it's just temporary.  I feel confident -
  • that I'll gain some extra energy
  • that as long as I keep trying to eat right, I'm benefiting.
  • that once she's been here a little longer, Ayaka will take less work, so to speak
  • and that spring will come and the sun will shine more and I'll walk again and be cheered by birdies chirping & little green shoots coming up out of the ground and my polka dot rain boots for those wet days.

So, as we age, let's keep learning and striving to improve ourselves.  But let's remember to be gentle as well.  After all:  Life is a journey not a destination.  





Happy weekend!







5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There are definitely days when we just need to sit back and relax. I'd say you deserve it after such long days. I worked for years, but never at 2 jobs. That is enough to tire anyone out. Take good care rest ! Don't ever feel guilty about it. Hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

Kay G. said...

And don't forget, find a lot to laugh about, EVERY DAY.
That is my advice for everyone, even if you are not in your 50's and you feel like your body and mind are falling apart!
Oops, did I really say that? :-)

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Goodness Doris I could have written that post myself. I've been so mopey lately. I cannot stand the cold. I can't wait for spring. I'm so disorganized, I don't even have a job and why am I in such a funk?
I really don't know. Probably because we've both had health issues at my house and I'm utterly sick of the whole mess.
There I've said it. I don't feel better but I got it off my chest.
We'll both feel better just around the corner when the sun shines more and the flowers bloom. I've been so bummed I can't even write!
Blessings to you and yours.
Barb

My books are at Amazon.
Vada Faith, a women's fiction
and
Ezra and Other Stories, a collection of short stories.
Award winning author, Barbara A. Whittington.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I think it's called cabin fever and it usually hits at this time of year. Couch time is a good activity during cabin fever time. Be kind to yourself and spring will soon be here.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I find it hard to make myself do something useful, something productive, something that burns some calories after dinner after working all day too. Sigh.

Are you connected with some kind of organization that you keep taking Japanese students. Such fun for you.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...