Thursday, September 26, 2013

Changing Seasons.




 I had to turn the heat on last night for the first time; it was damp and only 11 deg C (about 50 deg F).  Brrrr!  And, of course, as my hand was reaching for the thermostat, my brain was registering the costs associated.

But it's okay!  I'm ready for the change of season.  As a matter of fact, I'm really looking forward to Autumn.  

You know what?  I was even thinking last night of how much more I enjoy autumn than spring --- my used-to-be favorite season!  "When did that happen?" I thought. 

 And then I found this:
Does this mean I have a happier state of mind?
Does it mean I'm growing as a person?  

I have no idea; I simply can't keep up with me these days!  I just "am".  I don't have time to analyze the whys and whats; I only want to accept and enjoy.

But I do acknowledge that I am constantly changing.  As a post-menopausal woman, I'm often surprised to find that I don't feel or think the same way as I had for most of my life.


I certainly can't "do" a lot of the things I used to do.  And if I focus on that, it becomes very frustrating.  For example, other than walking, I'm not able to exercise any longer because of injuring my back 2 yr ago.  Even getting back into sweet, gentle, beneficial yoga has been painful for me.  (My massage therapist says to approach my yoga like I'm an 80 yr old.  Encouraging, huh!)  So, it's baby steps for me.  I'm trying to find what will work rather than crying about what won't work.  

But maybe learning to accept what happens to us as we age is also part of the "change of life" --- just part of our personal seasons.      

I love being excited about the change of seasons, unlike the younger me who hated any thought of cold.  But now-a-days, I love all the seasons.  And I feel huge joy to know it's Autumn and that things will be changing every day.

Not many of the leaves have changed on the trees yet, but I notice the ones that have changed.  So pretty!  I notice -- and take full advantage of -- the wonderful array of vegetables at the local Farmer's Market.  So delicious!

I'm thinking about pumpkins and creamed soups, warm crisp breads & rolls and apple cakes with spiced cream.  

I'm thinking about Halloween (and making my costume for the student party).  And I'm thinking about Christmas (and checking my gift list and budget for what's left to purchase).

I changed out my summer for my autumn wardrobe last weekend, and did some necessary purging.  Very cathartic!  And as a bonus, I came across items that I'd purchased at thrift stores and sales and didn't even remember I'd bought.  Gotta love that.

I am happy to be entering sweater and fleece weather.  My colored jeans and bright scarves have come out of hiding.  My favorite (and only) leather jacket is being worn and appreciated again.  (And my new birthday boots are lying in wait under my bed for next month!)

Change is inevitable.  And if we can roll with the punches and learn to focus on the positives of change, we can not just accept it but learn to love it.  Just like I did with Autumn.


   








4 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thoughts of colder weather always leave me feeling a little gloomy but I do love days like today when the sky is a brilliant blue and the sun is shinning. Leaves are just beginning to change here too. I have learned to roll with the punches like you said, there is no controlling the seasons or the weather.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I truly mourn the passing of spring and summer, but I love the fall I am in, and accept that winter will come. So is life, but it is all OK.

TARYTERRE said...

I can relate to your back problems. My knees are bad and I can no longer do what I once could.

Jack Tyler said...

What beautiful sentiments! As a Taoist, my whole life view is about remaining in harmony with myself and my surroundings, and this means embracing each change as it comes along. It fills me with joy when I witness a friend discovering that universal truth. How much more fulfilling to accept and enjoy rather than fight to stay eternally 29, railing hopelessly against the changes wrought by time. Your wisdom will carry you far, and that is a wonderful thing! All the best to you yet again.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...