Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Old Friends ..... Bookends!

What's sweeter than an unexpected visit from a long ago, absent friend.  25+ years since we'd sat and laughed and shared.  And although we'd kept up via others, it was wonderful to wrap arms around each other in greeting, look deep into each others eyes and say "Hi!  Long time, no see."


The weekend also contained beautiful sunshine, a trip to my local Frenchies thrift store (where I scored this pair of Tom's for $10), brunch at the farmer's market, and lots of relaxation on the deck with my Saturday crossword puzzle and a beverage.  

One of those beverages was a cocktail made from soda water and the Strawberry Vodka that I made last weekend.  Look at that beautiful color.  And it tasted like fresh strawberries.  So yummy!

I used the "bleached" strawberries and a couple of quarts of fresh strawberries to make strawberry freezer jam ..... but all the strawberries floated to the top of the jars!  Sad?  No; not at all. I get strawberry jam on the top layer and strawberry sauce on the bottom. 

The weekend included a much anticipated, much desired visit to 
Hell's Bay microbrewery  in Liverpool NS where I picked up a couple of growlers (large, brown jugs) of beer -- one as a gift and one as a sampler for Amy and I.  There's a lovely relaxed attitude between us both concerning things like formal mealtimes, so that means plenty of opportunity for impromptu snacking on delicious treats.   
Do try these "Beanitos"; they are scrumptious ..... especially with a roasted red pepper dip.  

Sunday morning, I attempted to counter my weekend indulgences with a 1/2 hr walk to meet another friend for our monthly coffee chat; and then my return walk home was to be on the trail/old railway line which I'd never attempted before.  What fun! 

Note of advice:  Do not attempt to walk for 1.5 hr at noon on a hot summer day when your water bottle is only half full and the last half of the walk is uphill! Oy vey! Thank goodness for the A&W at the 3/4 mark. That ice cold root beer and padded swivel chair felt soooo good.  I made it home in one piece thanks in part to Albert and Walter!

This week has been much less adventurous as my shins and feet are still recovering.  How easily we forget our age and ability, huh!





5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

How nice to get to visit with an old friend. Love strawberry anything. And the hummus looks delicious.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am making plans to get together with a friend from years ago and I am so excited (and a little nervous). It looks like your visit went well.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is great to connect with an old friend. Sounds like a wonderful weekend for you. Yes it is easy to over do and forget but we do pay for it!

Red Rose Alley said...

It's nice to get together with old friends, isn't it? These look like tasty goodies on here, especially the chocolate. I love chocolate!

Have a nice Sunday.

~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

B. WHITTINGTON said...

You always make me smile when I read your blog. Love the sounds of that strawberry drink. Yummu. I haven't been here in a while, busy with grandkids this summer, but happy to know you are still shopping and getting bargains. I love bargain shopping. Have a great week.
Barb

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...