Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tales of Christmas Past - Books


 As far back as I can remember, there was always a book or two at Christmas.  Without realizing what they were doing, my parents instilled a love of reading and of books deep within me -- and this from two people that I never saw reading other than a magazine or a newspaper.

I recall reading a few Little Golden Books as a small child. But I quickly graduated to more mature books such as Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and Heidi. Then as a teen, I began reading Agatha Christie mysteries. Whatever the book, you'd find me under the covers with a flashlight all through Xmas vacation. Books continue to be a treat for me, my shelves groaning under the happy unslaught. 


Blogger Jo from "A Cup of Jo" had a post yesterday on Jólabókaflóð or The Christmas Book Flood.  Apparently in Iceland, books are exchanged on Christmas Eve; you then spend the rest of the night in bed eating chocolate and reading. Doesn't that sound divine!  


I hope Santa has some books for me this year. (I can always make room under the night table.) And I plan on adding Jólabókaflóð to my list of holiday activities.  But, of course, because we actually open gifts and feast on the 25th, I'll change the date to incorporate Xmas Night & Boxing Night and for that matter ALL throughout the holiday season. 



Happy Jólabókaflóð: and I'll see you under the tree!
















5 comments:

WendyMcLeodMacKnight said...

What a fabulous concept! Me too?

TARYTERRE said...

And here I thought I was the only one with a flashlight under my covers. LOL I too love to read and am thrilled to hear about Jólabókaflóð: I will incorporate it into my celebrations too.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have a lot of Christmas books and get them out with the decorations every year. A couple of them are pop up books and would look lovely displayed open, but alas there isn't room anywhere to do so. I used to treat myself to a Christmas book or two every year, but the collection has grown so that I don't add any more, just revisit the ones I have. I think its a great idea to enjoy a book on Christmas Eve.

Duni said...

Hi Sandy!
over here we exchange gifts on Christmas Eve :)
I LOVE getting books! All my family knows this so hopefully I will get one or two :)

Kay said...

I've loved hard copy books since middle school, but now I'm all into my Kindle books. Sigh... I don't think I've read a regular book in a couple of years now.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...