Monday, January 26, 2015

Storm Day Prep...


Some of you in the U.S. may be right in the middle of this huge snow storm which is headed to Atlantic Canada late tonight and tomorrow. If so, keep safe and warm.  And I hope you were prepared with water, flashlight and radio batteries and food.  


The south shore of Nova Scotia hasn't had a snow storm this winter: while other's in the province have had snow, we've had rain. But this one heading our way is supposed to make up for this oversight with 30-35 cm (12-14 inches) of snow plus blowing.  

Yikes! My students have waited all winter for this --- and it is happening during their exam week of which they have to go to school only one day. Poor deprived internationals!

This storm is on everyone's mind today. So, when I came across all the great "warming" recipes shown on Brenda at "Cosy Little House" this morning, I had to share with you. So many wonderful, inexpensive recipes. Yummy!


This is a busy evening for me -- Lena's 16th birthday is today and we'll be celebrating with her requested fish tacos and marble cheesecake. But when the cake is eaten and the presents opened, I think I'll check my Snow Day emergency list:  


  • Bottled water? ............................ Check
  • Blankets and wooly slippers? ..... Check
  • Flashlight and radio batteries? .... Check
  • Good book? ................................. Check
  • Emergency chocolate? ................  Check (always!)
  • Warming winter soup/stew? ........ (soon-to-be Check)


If we do get a snow day tomorrow and I have food in the slow cooker already prepared, and if the power is NOT off when I wake tomorrow, all I need to do is to re-heat (before a possible power outage, wrap the crock in foil and a a blanket, then store it in the oven. The food will stay warm for quite a number of hours that way. 



And isn't it wonderful to be sitting inside on a stormy day eating something warm and nourishing? That and a good book make a snow day extra fun.

What are your go-to foods for storm days?



5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

We only got 5 inches of snow where we are. You sound prepared for all the inches expecting to be piling up in yours. Take care. Enjoy the storm from inside where it's comfy, cozy.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hope the storm didn't hit with the strength predicted there. I saw this morning that New York and New Jersey didn't get what was expected, but it was snowing heavily in north of there. Take good care and keep warm.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

After hearing for days about the storm of the century coming our way, I woke us this morning expecting the worst. Instead, all that happened was some of the powder snow that we had yesterday, blew over my shoveled driveway. However, it looks like New England will get the worst of it. Hopefully, it will blow out to sea before it hits Canada.

SImple and Serene Living said...

Hope your part of the storm isn't too bad, but sounds like you are well prepared. xo Laura

Stacey said...

I just can't imagine that weather!! Just like you might not imagine the 70s F here in on February 1st. I love a lady who has her crockpot ready to go!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...