Monday, March 9, 2015

Super Bugs! (The real ones; not, like, your kids or mother-in-law or work colleagues!)


What a time of it I've had! In my 60 years on earth, I have never been as sick as I was last week. My flu virus (s) came on suddenly; and instead of gradually getting better, I progressively got worse and worse. Day 6 and 7 were the days that scared me the most; I was so terribly ill, sleeping almost constantly yet fearing that sleep because perhaps I wouldn't wake, ending up in a coma or something. Seriously! I'm not given to hysterics, but I was terrified because of how ill I was. My daughter is an almost-nurse (graduates this May), and she tells me of the people that die every year from influenza -- the very young and the elderly.  We never hear about that, do we.   


Anyway, when I began to experience chest pains, I did go to my local Emergency (being one of the thousands of people in NS who don't have a family doctor). They were quick to do x-rays and blood work and an EKG. Verdict? Nothing serious; just a "bad flu". It was somewhat comforting to hear that. So, I've just had to tough it out. I began to actually feel improvement on Day 10; today on Day 14, I still have sinus issues, headaches and tummy troubles; but I was able to enjoy my weekend with my girls.

My Nursie daughter is always after me to have a yearly flu shot. (Doctor said it wouldn't have helped this bug.) She says that if you're over the age of 55 and have any other issues (heart, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc), it's imperative to get a flu shot. She says that a virus on top of existing health stressers can be too much for our bodies. I've always been one to treat myself naturally, if at all possible.  But next year, I'll be first in line for the flu shot!


A serious illness meant a serious look at my life and my sugar addiction. Now-a-days, everything seems to point to sugar being the root of a myriad of health problems, so the sugar's got to go!  On the reverse, there's also a lot of buzz lately about probiotics and how good they are for us. My latest issue of  "Prevention" magazine has a good article that states probiotics even works wonders on depression and anxiety, a growing issue for many people.

Now, I love a good, plain, probiotic-laden yogurt. But I was really happy to find that a probiotic diet can contain more than just vats and vats of natural yogurt. I'm even happier to find that because of my international kids, I already enjoy some of these extra goodies.  If you're interested, "Women's Health" has this great overview - Other Probiotic Foods.


I plan to increase my intake of these miracle foods and eliminate as much refined sugar as possible. I will continue to think positively, laugh often, swim & walk and to treat myself gently. The only good thing to come out of a crippling flu virus is that I've already gone through the kicking-of-the-sugar monkey on my back. 

Any more positive advice from my blogging friends is welcome.

Keep healthy my friends!




7 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

That SUPERBUG sounds like it really threw you for a loop. So sorry to hear how sick you were. Glad you are starting to feel better. Sounds like you are on the right track to improved health.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Well I'm certainly glad you've lived to tell the tale of your super bug. I swear, I had something similar in Jan ( my husband contracted it 3 days later), and I hurried to my dr for the tamiflu drug to nip it, but I tested negative for the flu. "Just a virus" they said. Oh my, it took almost 2 wks to feel half normal again (a lot of coughing, which I never have had before. I realize many are prone to it). So glad that's all behind me AND you! It makes winter feel that much more dreadful when sickneas looms. Btw, I have a nurse daughter too. :) But I'm still not convinced to get that flu shot next year!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Well I'm certainly glad you've lived to tell the tale of your super bug. I swear, I had something similar in Jan ( my husband contracted it 3 days later), and I hurried to my dr for the tamiflu drug to nip it, but I tested negative for the flu. "Just a virus" they said. Oh my, it took almost 2 wks to feel half normal again (a lot of coughing, which I never have had before. I realize many are prone to it). So glad that's all behind me AND you! It makes winter feel that much more dreadful when sickneas looms. Btw, I have a nurse daughter too. :) But I'm still not convinced to get that flu shot next year!

PhilipH said...

Glad that you are getting over this scary time.

'Flu killed MILLIONS 1918/19. It is said to have killed up to 100 million! All inside a year or so, less than 100 years ago. In that pandemic the 'Spanish Flu' as it was called seemed to kill the healthiest in the age group 20 to 30-ish.

It's a dangerous disease and this year in the UK the 'flu jab was said to be effective in only 3% of cases; blamed on a problem with forecasting this year's likely flu bug!

sabine ingerl said...

Good to hear that you feel better. Take care dear Doris.
Sabine xxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The flu bug is no laughing matter at all. Really scary in fact. They said that our flu shot didn't contain what was needed to knock off the bugs that were in our area this year. Even though I got the shot, I could still catch the flu. One thing that I think is important is a good washing of hands when ever you been out. So far so good here. Hope you continue to feel better. It does take awhile to get all your strength back.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

This was the year that so many got sick. I was down and out all of January as were so many of my friends. Your flu sounds especially frightening and I am glad to read that you are feeling better.

Yes, we worry about Ebola and other exotic diseases coming our way, when it is the flu that is the most dangerous. I always get my flu shot. It is also important to get the pneumonia and shingles shot. One of those diseases can kill you, the other one will make you wish it would.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...