Sunday, July 23, 2023

Hot and Sticky and Sweet

What a month! Like the majority of Newfoundlanders, I don't have an air conditioner as there usually isn't much need: our summer temperatures normally sit around 20-24℃ (70-75℉) with perhaps 2-3 days of high heat. But like the rest of the world, we are experiencing extremely high temperatures (30sC / high 80sF). And as I'm mostly made of sugar, jelly, BS & asthma), I can't function in hot weather. I have at least 1 fan for every room. But most of the time, I'm just sitting on my couch with 3 fans pointed at me. Two are fairly new. But the one that does the best job is a old yellow metal 1960's model I bought at a recent yard sale. Although she sounds like a jet engine, man! Can she blow! Here's a depiction of me relaxing in front of the fan:

Trying to read captions on Netflix as I can't hear a thing over the sound of Old Yeller!


Before the really high heat struck, strawberry season happened and I went to a local U-pick. With the addition of some rhubarb, I froze some, made jam, tarts, muffins, a cobbler and a failed but still tasty cake. Yummy!


But one of my favorite things to preserve for winter is rhubarb/strawberry syrup. You simply add a little water to rhubarb & strawberries (I use a 4-1 ratio R to S), add some sugar to your taste (mine is slightly tart), stew this, strain into bottles; and when you're ready to use, pour over ice and add sparkling water (on a 1 to 3 ratio or to your taste). [Tis' also grand added to a G'n'TšŸ˜œ] And it's such a wonderful hit-of-summer in the middle of winter!


I have managed to walk the brook path most every day (which someone has named Rusty's Run) as long as I go early morning or just before sunset. The bugs can be a bit fierce, but it's always cooler, quieter and so serene in amongst the trees and ferns. 


  


Temperatures this week are supposed to be slightly lower, but now the humidity has begun to set in!  So, I shall have to endure the roar of Old Yeller for a while yet.

Stay cool and hydrated, my friends. Namaste!

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Old Yeller and that photo made me laugh out loud!

The Happy Whisk said...

The idea of you relaxing in front of the fan is funny stuff. Stay cool.

bahnwƤrterin said...

poor girl! i hope the old yeller helps preventing your melt down! :-D
we can be happy that our local forests are not burning like last year (for 4 weeks!) - so i will not complaining.....
*knock on wood*
thankfully the house is old (130y) with very thick brick walls, so its cool inside of the ground floor (up under the roof not so ;-/)
your strawberry preservings sound very tasty - i put black currant from my garden into brown rum, with raw caine sugar - 2 big jars! ;-D
stay cool! xxxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is hotter here too. But if feels good to me. We haven't had much summer weather yet. Finally it feels like summer in Ohio. Your jelly sounds wonderful

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...