Monday, October 10, 2011

It's a great day for turkeys!

.
It's Canadian Thanksgiving Day! And as I prepare a wonderful feast for my little family, I'll be reflecting on how grateful I am for the many friends and family in my life.


Not only do I have wonderful children, I have been blessed with some wonderful international children (present company included). I have lots of people I can call friends, and there are some I've known for years who are extremely dear to me. My family and I are closer now than we've ever been, more open and demonstrative in our affections. And I've been fortunate to have several older women who have been mentors to me with a couple of them have been like mothers-away-from-home.



One of them is this lady - Mum Brown. I became friends with both her daughters when I first moved up here in my early 20's -- my wild and wooly years when I sowed many acres of wild oats. She not only tolerated me and the shenanigans we three got up to, she fed me home cooked meals, took me on weekends to the cottage, laughed with me (and at me) and loved me. It's been 36 years of love and acceptance. That family is one of my greatest treasures.



And yes, you're right. That's a birthday cake. We also share a birthday: and today is it!



So you see, it's a great day for turkeys!



Happy Canadian Thanksgiving my friends. (You're also on my grateful list.)


















8 comments:

Red said...

Happy birthday to the both of you.
Could I be so bold as to suggest that maybe you haven't quit the wild oats thing yet? Isn't that what goes along with Aging Disgracefully? How else could you age disgracefully?
Any way have a great Thanksgiving.

Sweet Tea said...

Happy Birthday Doris!!
Good wishes for yet another blessed year for both you and your friend!

And, Happy Thanksgiving!
I actually wish our US Thanksgiving day was today rather than in Nov. Ours falls too close to Christmas, IMO.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Oh wow!!!! Happy birthday!
You are both beautiful.

Happy Thanksgiving.

DearHelenHartman said...

Happy Birthday to you and to your dear friend and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Whew. That was so much all at once I may have to take some time off to recover... do you think my work will accept I am celebrating and will be in late today?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday! How nice to share a holiday and a birthday with a wonderful friend. Enjoy your special day!!!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Happy, happy birthday to you both.

Life is great when we are surrounded by people we love. I have a saying, "Relatives can be chancy, friends you choose, old friends you cherish."

Janet said...

There's nothing like friends - and a perfect day to be thankful for them :)

A very Happy Birthday, Sandy!!

Pamela Gordon said...

Happy Birthday Sandy! I hope you had a wonderful day with turkey and all the trimmings. It certainly was a beautiful weekend weatherwise here! Blessings for a a wonderful year ahead! Pam

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...