Friday, February 10, 2012

A souper surprise!






I love freezer soup!


You know ..... the small leftover portions of soup that the kids won't touch with a barge pole and you just can't bring yourself to throw good food out so you freeze it in an unmarked plastic container to take to work sometime in the future for your own lunch.  




Everyone does freezer soup, right?


 So, the night before, you take your individual-sized soup out of the freezer and pop it in your thermal lunch bag to thaw.  


"What kind of soup is it?


Who knows!  It's been frozen for anywhere from 2 to 4 (or 6 or 8) weeks.


It's soup!  Warm, comforting, delicious soup."

At noon, you pop the top and stick it in the microwave to heat.  Then you take it out and lift the lid off and begin to eat.
Yummmmmmmm!

Ohhhhhh!  What's that?  A bean?
What kind of bean?  Wow, I love those kinds of beans!

Ummm!  There's a carrot .... and some onion.  Hey, I put celery in this one.  Celery's good!

Lentil soup!  How come no one finished the lentil soup?  We all love lentil soup!  Oh well, one up for me, y'all! 

Oooo!  Lookie there!  It's a piece of chicken (beef/ pork)!  Whooo hoo!  Times are high at my house!  Real meat!  

What's that little yellow thingie?  Ahhh, corn!  And do I detect a certain southwest flavor?  


Num num nummies!
Slurp, slurp!


Soup is good!

Soup is always good!

But sometimes the best soup is ..................





11 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's a great idea you have freezing that last bowl of soup for a surprise. It's getting very cold here and soup is in order for sure! Have a fantastic Friday!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Woohoo, I freeze onesies for Farm Boys lunch too. It's great!!!

It's cold, nasty and just plain old mucky here today. I'd love to have some of your delicious 'surprise' soup. I'll bring my whole wheat crackers!!!

God bless ya and have a fantabulous weekend sweetie!!! :o)

Janet said...

I had soup for lunch - only it was my version of freezer soup: left over roasted veggies (potato, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, onion) that didn't get eaten up when I made them go in a ziplock baggie and stored in the freezer for when I'm needing some soup. Out it comes, quick microwave, into a pot with some beef or chicken stock, heated up (mashed or left whole) and ta-da - soup!!

FYI - this soup made fresh with the left-over roasted veggie freezes well, too.

I love soup for lunch :)

TARYTERRE said...

You have a way with words. This SOUP blog made me smile. BON APPETIT.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Oh yes, love the soup from the freezer that I have no idea what it is. I always mean to label it when putting away, but well, forces are out there that make me forget to do that. The surprises in life are always the best, aren't they?

Diana said...

I love soup! I try to make a different one every week. I do freeze the leftovers and use them when I don't want to make more soup!! LOL!!! I've got a container of split pea and ham up there now.
Love Di ♥

Pat MacKenzie said...

Now you've made me want soup. I've been guilty of not freezing my leftovers, but I'll change that practice. Individual sized frozen soup sounds perfect.

Melanie said...

I've never made "freezer soup", but what a great idea!

Marguerite said...

Freezer soup is one of my absolute favourite lunches. Usually in the fall I'm busy making huge batches and I try to put away as many individual portions as possible. Nothing like a warm home made soup in mid-winter to warm up your tummy.

wendy said...

I love soup too. We love this homemade chicken noodle soup that a lovely lady brought over to my daughters house for us to eat...during the time Matthew passed away.
We now, loving dubed it "Matt's Soup".

I made Button Soup for my kids when they were little. In order for them to want to eat the soup, they'd watch me drop a Big Button in the pot, and I told them the Button was what made the soup delicious and magical.
they bought it...and ate it.

Linda H said...

There's NOTHING better than homemade soup on a cold winter day. Yum!!!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...