Thursday, January 18, 2018

Vitamin D, Tea and Me

What with being sick lately, I haven't spent much time outdoors. And most days have been so cold that you only want to dash from car to building. Brrrr! Today is a warmer, calmer day: there isn't actually any snow falling from the sky! But where am I? In the office, of course, looking longingly out the window. 


I've been noticing myself becoming angry easier, grumbling while driving (because everyone else is an idiot!), and feeling a little down. Yes, I've been housebound; and the weather has been terrible. But let's be proactive here! This is MY health .... and I don't like it when I am an ogre. So what's to be done about the lack of Vitamin D?

Well, I turn to good ole Google to refresh my memory of what I should be doing. 

Key food sources of Vitamin D:
  • Oily fish; salmon, sardines
  • Orange juice
  • Breakfast cereals
  • Red meats
  • Egg yolk
  • Cheese 
  • Tofu
  • Fortified products
I'm good in the egg yolks and cheese department. I eat small portions of red meat; and I enjoy tofu occasionally. I eat fish weekly, but oily fish like salmon are an expensive treat. Orange juice gives me heartburn, but I have been eating at least one orange a day since I've been sick. I don't care for breakfast cereals, and they contain a lot of sugar and/or preservatives as do most fortified products. This site didn't mention Vitamin D drops as did others. 

My best defense is awareness, I suppose; remembering to increase my intake of these items this time of year. And trying to get outside as much as possible. Perhaps I'll pick up some lovely salmon today; I'm worth it!




In the meantime, I know where I'm having my tea break today....... 

Right here in front of the big office window.

Perhaps I'll dream of sunny weekends ...
and Spring.















2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Since we usually get so little sunshine in winter and I'm inside most of the time I have started taking a vitamin D supplement with is supposed to help too and a couple of fish oil capsules too. It is the time we all get to feeling cabin fever and want to get out but the weather doesn't often cooperate. On the bright side the days are starting to get longer and that makes me happy!

TARYTERRE said...

i don't think much about winter. not happy with all these cool temps. hoping you find the right combination of things to make you feel better.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...