It's Autumn and that means many wonderful things, one of which is the start of our Book Club. Last night was our "first-meet-of-the-year pot luck dinner": tuna double-stuffed potatoes, bok choy salad, shrimp pizza, broccoli/cheese salad, tasty dips and cheesecake bars for dessert. It's difficult to ease our way from eating to discussing books (as we're all awfully fond of eating!). But we manage to do it because we are also awfully fond of reading.
We're not a large group: 10 of us in total with an average of 7-8 of us at most bookclub meetings. We take turns hosting which is a lovely opportunity to use your bookclub friends as willing guinea pigs and prepare some new sweet or savory. At the first meeting, we discuss members latest favorite books; then everyone gets at least one of their books on the "to read" list for the year. Very democratic!
Our list so far this year includes the following:
- "Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie (the read for the next month)
- Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern
- "Late for Tea at the Deer Palace" by Tamara Chalabi
- "Lord God Bird" by Tom Gallant
- "The Hatbox Letters" by Beth Powning
- "Truth & Beauty" by Ann Patchett
- What would you recommend?
- Are you a member of a bookclub?
- What's on your night table?