Monday, January 7, 2013

Gettin' the Sugar Monkey off My Back!

Hello; my name is Sandy; and I love sweets!  Good quality chocolate and rich ice cream; homemade cookies, pies and cakes; flavored lattes and hot chocolate with marshmallows.  And after 58 years of living, I don't believe in dieting.  What I do believe in, however, is imbibing in moderation!
What's that word you said?  
Is that even a word in your dictionary, Sandy?  


I do the same thing every Christmas -- I buy/receive/bake too many goodies; then I place no boundaries on what I put in my body during that "happiest of seasons".  And when the new year comes, I pay for it because I get the ole' "Sugar Monkey" on my back.  I crave it all the time -- at home and at work; morning, noon and night.  And the last thing I need (after the weight I've gained over the past year because my cronic shoulder pain put a stop to most of my weekly exercise regime) is more excess blubber!  Believe me:  when the revolution comes, my body can exist for quite a few months on it's own fat stores!

So, the new year and the Sugar Monkey call for extreme measures.  I detox for a few days to break the sugar habit.  It gets rid of most of my cravings as well as making me feel so much better.

I've fasted in years past, with only lemon/maple syrup water and prayer as my detox companions. ('Cause nobody else wants to be around my fasting crabbiness!)  I've tried cabbage soup, and I've tried only raw veg and fruit.  This year, I took a page out of Dr Oz's book -- well, part of a page; I made my own alterations.  I tried his 2 day detox this past weekend (you can find it online).

I did not begin with Dr Ozs' suggested breakfastQuinoa with Prunes (see recipie at oprah.com).  I'm not at all fond of quinoa -- I always want to moo or baa like a farm animal while it's cooking!  But I did begin my day with a couple of prunes because I do like them.  
(And ain't they just nature's perfect model of efficiency!)

This is my version of Dr Ozs' Revitalizing Fruit Smoothie (recipie at oprah.com):  spinach blended well w/ water, almond milk, raspberries, 1/2 banana, 1/2 tsp chia seeds, a wee drizzle of honey and a dollop of plain yogurt.  I made up several large portions and drank it whenever I wanted a hit of sweetness. 

And here's his suggestion for dinner:  Vegetable Broth with a Side of Sauerkraut and Sliced Apples (recipe at oprah.com)It's a glorified version of cabbage soup, but the veggies and herbs are chosen to help with the detox process.  And the fennel, fresh oregano, paprika and cayenne made this absolutely delicious!  

Dr Oz also suggests a snack: Pineapple-Kale Juice (recipe at oprah.com).  I couldn't find artichokes; and cucumbers were much too dear at $2.49 each to put into what I deemed to be an "iffy" sounding smoothie to begin with.  So, I improvized, and my verdict was: 
  Yeah --- NO!  
Simply vile tasting!  
I drank the green smoothie or citrus water.  


I also had a half cup of almonds in the early evening, drank the dandelion tea (which was quite nice) and took his suggested epsom salts bath -- never a problem for me!  

And how do I feel?

I feel really good!  I didn't have a problem with doing the 2 day diet; and although I still think about the lovely, expensive chocolate that's stashed away at home and my taste buds tell me that it's time for a mid-morning break cookie, I don't have overwhelming cravings.  So, I'm able to handle it.



Hopefully, I'm back on the nutrition wagon and that nasty monkey has left town.   


How do you guys handle the post-Christmas eating disorder?




10 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Ah yes, I know that sugar monkey only too well! And what I'm doing is (after way too much over-indulgence!) allowing myself 1 2" square of dark chocolate a week, preferably while watching 'Mystery.' I seem to have to be very rigid about my diet or I easily slide off track. I'm hoping that at the end of January I'll be able to look back with a smile - and 5 fewer pounds. We'll see...

Thanks so much for stopping in at Cranberry Morning! I'm following too. :-)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm afraid I do have to have a little sweetness in my life every day. While I miss the Christmas sweets there are still other sweet options here at my house. A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down they say. I've never done a detox of any kind. Mostly doing what I always do here.

Pamela Gordon said...

Well, that doesn't sound like a very enticingly tasty detox to me. Ewwww. I am so like you in the sugar department in that I also love it but I never detox or fast. I just try to cut back on the chocolate goodies until they are all gone. A slow withdrawal you could say. And today I started back on the treadmill as it's too cold and slippery for these old bones to walk along the road. Good luck with your 'lack of chocolate' diet!

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Loved reading this. I probably could use a sugar detox myself. I honestly believe I could live on sugary foods until they did me in.
When I'm going off the junk after the holiday, I too allow myself a small piece of choc every day. It seems to work. Then again I have pancreatitis and most of the time am on a diet anyway. Low fat to no fat.
Good luck with your withdrawal!
Blessings.

Diana said...

Oh Dear well I don't have that problem as January is always a LEAN month for us financially therefore food wise as well!!
I did pretty good this year compared to years past actually. But definitely need to loose some inches!
That soup looked yummy!
Love Di ♥

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am trying the 8 hour diet. A nutritionist on the Today Show explained it last week and said you could lose 5 lbs. in two weeks. You eat for 8 hours a day and let no food pass your lips for the other 16. I don't believe in these fad diets (having my PHD in Weight Watchers), but I am giving this a chance for two weeks. We have been snacking and eating bad (wonderful tasting) food for weeks now and I have to put a stop to it.

Good luck with Dr. Oz's plan.

wendy said...

good for you...sounds like you are RIGHT ON TRACK.
I don't do anything drastic...just Moderation as you said.
I am not much of a "sweets" fan....but oh boy, salty things get me. Salt and vinegar chips etc.
That's my weakness.

Marissa said...

Ohh that sugar monkey! I'm trying not to think of it, but I know I must do something! Good for you your on the right track..

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

I'm very well acquainted with the Sugar Monkey. He does get around, doesn't he. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Good for you. I do have a terrible chocolate craving. Last year I gave up chocolate for lent just to break the habit and to prove to myself that I could do it. I've always wanted to try a detox, but know I would be a bear if I didn't have protein. Yours looks doable though as the almonds would give you something to go on. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...