Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Crispy Tofu with Citrus Soy



My body and my brain are constantly battling each other.  My body
cries out "No more junk!  Eat healthy food!"  And my brain yells equally as loudly "Where's my chocolate?  I want cake!"

Most of the time, my body wins the battle; its various aches and pains gain the upper hand.  But really!  Let's face it:  we have to give in to our cravings occasionally.  Hence my eating the Lindt  and the Cadbury mini eggs consumed this weekend -- against my WW rules.


There are no regrets:  they were delicious!



But equally delicious is this dish I prepared last night for dinner.  A year ago, tofu wasn't on my list of favorites; but I guess like most foods, you just have to find the right recipe.

I have found it!

To make the Citrus Sauce:  1/3 cup orange juice, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp Mirin, 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp grated ginger root and the zest from one lemon.  

Heat a Tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. (I used my iron pan.)  Cut the block of firm tofu (roughly 250-265 gm) into 8 equal pieces; pat dry.  Dip each piece in beaten egg yolk and then in Panko crumbs (roughly 1/3 cup).  Then fry on each side until golden and heated throughout.  

Serve on a bed of salad greens with chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds.  Drizzle with the citrus sauce.  Add some pickled ginger and rice and this wonderful meal is complete.

This is soooo delicious!
Can't wait to make this one again!


4 comments:

Linda said...

This looks really good. Thank you so much for sharing, and greetings from Montreal!

TARYTERRE said...

I might have to try this recipe. Looks simple enough and sounds yummy.

Angels have Red Hair said...

I'm the same with exercise … I know I should … but my lazy side wants to stay on the couch … alas lazy side tends to win on most days.
I just can't take to tofu … but perhaps like you I just need the right recipe.
xx

Kay said...

This sounds absolutely scrumptious. I love that it's healthy too. I've never cooked the tofu. We eat it raw with soy sauce and ginger.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...