Sunday, February 22, 2015

In Between Storms ....

Saturday dawned cold, clear and bright. After all the snow and gloom of the past few weeks, it was encouraging to see the snow. This is what it looked like at my house:  
I'd like to get the snow off the roof of the shed; but with no snowshoes or long-handled rake, I don't know when I'll get to that shed next! The driveway has been cleared nicely though.

With one of the worst Februarys on record, a person had better take advantage of the sunshine and get out of the house. Let's head to Lunenburg.

Walking along the waterfront was a little chilly with the wind. But the sunshine was so beautiful and the air so clear and crisp. Look at how pretty Lunenburg looks against the white of the snow and the blue of the sky. It was nice walking weather.

There was a visit to a local consignment shop (I'll post my treasures later); and a stop at one of my favorite Lunenburg Shops Mosaic Treasures (where my Xmas shopping may have begun). And then there was a stop at Sweet Indulgence for refueling.

Hot chocolate and Chai latte really hit the spot.

What a lovely treat it was to take the time to just quietly walk and feast one's eyes, to actually have an opportunity to enjoy the simplicity of a fine winters day -- instead of the usual noise of complaining about yet another snowfall or storm. 

But I don't think the silence will last very long. Today's forecast calls for 25 cm (10 inches) of rain. Oh the mess this could cause! So far, the rain is pretty gentle out there. So, I'm hoping that Old Man winter has decided to settle down for the rest of the season and just rest a bit before he has to leave us for good.


7 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

That is alot of snow you got. Glad you got out and about. Those beverages look scrumptious.

Linda H said...

I love Lunenburg at any time of year. That's an amazing snow portrait of Old Man Winter in the snow on that tree... Did you do that or was it natural?

Jack Tyler said...

Those incredible photos could easily be made into Christmas cards! Seriously, though, I feel for you. I've seen snow twice, once when I was taken to the local mountains as a child, and once when I took my kids. If I never see any again, that's not what I will be lamenting on my deathbed.

You guys keep warm and take care of yourselves! It's always a treat to read your posts.

Marie Rayner said...

Lunenburg is Todd's favourite place. He is always saying he'd love to live there. Looks pretty cold though in your photos. I reckon your foreign students are wondering what they got themselves into with all the snow you have gotten. My family is sick to death of it all now! xoxo

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

They say it could possibly be the coldest February on record here. We have plenty of snow here too but not so sure if it is as much as you have, it's very close though. No rain for us, but more dangerously cold weather and snow for us this week. Glad you got out on a sunny day. Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

sabine ingerl said...

The picture of old man winter is amazing and so are the foots of colorful picturesque Lunenburg. A very nice little town!
When I see what winter means in your area I am asking me why I am moaning. Snowfall here on Sunday night means only 1 - 2 cm and does not stop us to go out :-).
I look forward to seeing your purchases.
Sabine xxx

sabine ingerl said...

The picture of old man winter is amazing and so are the foots of colorful picturesque Lunenburg. A very nice little town!
When I see what winter means in your area I am asking me why I am moaning. Snowfall here on Sunday night means only 1 - 2 cm and does not stop us to go out :-).
I look forward to seeing your purchases.
Sabine xxx

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...