Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Christmas Decor by Myself

One of my favorite Christmas traditions has always been the tree: the scent; the sparkle; the memories that each ornament brings to mind; and that little bit of nature right in my living room! But although Newfoundland is a province with more wilderness and forest than towns and villages, real trees have become hard to find and expensive to buy. So, I did like everyone else does here and I purchased a pre-lit artificial tree. 

Decorating my first Xmas tree here was bittersweet with the thought that I may never again have Xmas with my wonderful NS friends. But last year's tree was just sad: I was very ill and no one came to visit.  And I remember how deflated I felt when I had to dismantle the tree after the new year. 

So this year, I opted for something totally different. I opted against putting up a tree and thought I'd add just a soupçon of a tree.


I added some real branches of fir in a vase with some sparkle and fairy lights and I've hung it with photos of the people I'd like to be spending Xmas with. (You can't see all of them.) Topmost, of course, are my other 2 daughters and some of my most wonderful international daughters. 

The scent is amazing. And over the holidays, I shall be able to gaze upon those lovely faces and raise a glass to each of them.



The rest of the apartment is festooned with swags and nativity scenes and kissing Santas and lots of fairy lights! 


It looks and feels very festive! 
As do I most days! 













5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a great idea decorating your branches with photos of those you'd love to see. It does look very festive there. You may live by yourself, but remember you are never really alone. Those we love are always as close as our hearts, as that is where we keep them.

Sandi said...

Shalom!

:)

Good to see that.

Shalom to you too and Merry Christmas!

Jeanie said...

I think the mini-tree is a terrific idea (and great smell!) and I especially love how you have the photos of those you wish you could spend christmas with. I have lived by myself forever (Rick is two blocks away) and I've always decorated for myself. If others like it, fine. But I do it for me, for the memories -- most good, some sad. I don't know where you are on your grief journey -- they are never short stints and can go on for a long while. I know. But I do know that settling things in a way that makes you feel good, OK, safe, even happy -- is the best thing one can do, especially at this time of year. Sending big hugs your way.

TARYTERRE said...

what a charming idea. festive, indeed.

Barbara said...

I think you found an excellent way to decorate and celebrate. I no longer have the energy to put out all the decorations but a few special ornaments here and there bring the memories alive. Being truly alone on special occasions is something I think you have to learn to adjust to. We spent a lifetime learning what to expect for our Holiday celebration so we might need an equally long time to relearn what Christmas can be.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...