Thursday, December 20, 2018

Christmas Food by Myself


First of all let me thank so many of you for your wonderfully kind comments on my posts. And let me add that although these posts have "by Myself" in the title, I am not at all sad about spending most of my Xmas alone. The ideas that I've come up with as a sort of coping mechanism have done just what I hoped they would do! I'm really enjoying my preparations and feel pretty certain that my season will be merry and bright.


To continue with my 'Xmas Alone' ideas, let's talk food -- another one of my favorite things about Christmas! Yum yum! 

I'm fortunate to be sharing a turkey dinner with my dad and brother on the 25th. (We're the solos in the family.) And a few days later, I'll enjoy another Xmas dinner with my daughter and her little family. I love Xmas baking, so I'll do some of that both before Xmas day and over the holidays themselves. But I also decided on another new tradition for myself:  at noon on Xmas Eve, after I've vacuumed and primped, I'm going technology and people free, and I'm going to prepare a special meal just for me.


For the first time ever, I'm going to try my hand at Beef Wellington (for one) with a side of green salad and grilled asparagus. Dessert will probably be a small trifle made with lots of fruit and a wee bit of sponge and cream. 

I'll open a bottle of wine; and for the rest Xmas Eve, I'll sip my wine and munch while I watch my 2 all-time favorite Xmas movies -- It's a Wonderful Life and the 1954 version of A Christmas Carol
* Yep! "Fadoobadas"

I'm choosing to shut myself off from the world on Xmas Eve not because of sadness or anger, but because I want to take at least one day during the season to acknowledge my self worth and to practice self-care. We all need to do this sometimes as even the jolliest of us may encounter difficulty or trying times (or people!) over the holidays. And  while necessary, decompressing all by oneself can also be very enjoyable: I mean, how many other opportunities does one have for walking around the house naked with a glass of wine and no regard for food drips or your "fadoobadas"*? 


Over the holidays, I wanna take some cold crisp walks in the snow (and hopefully, sunshine) as well as lots of epsom salts baths where I emerge oily as a greased pig and relaxed as a well fed baby! 


I also want to spend some time with my God in praise for His always being near and in gratitude for His gift to me of creativity and stick-to-it-tive-ness in my determination to enjoy my new life and have a merry christmas.




Please remind yourselves of your OWN self-worth, your uniqueness and your beauty. If any of my ideas would work for you, take them! But please remember that you have value and please do whatever it takes to maintain your health and peace.

I may not get an opportunity to blog again until the new year. 
So, from me to you, thank you for being my blog friends.
And I wish you a peaceful, joyous Christmas season.
See you in 2019!



8 comments:

Susan said...

Very good advice. I have had a couple of Christmases on my own and they were very enjoyable. At the time I didn't think of including some home spa treats. Now tucking the idea away for future reference. The Alistair Sim movie shows excellent taste. I know you are going to have a lovely time. Blessings.

Catsngrams said...

I am so glad I read your blog. Thank you I needed all of your wonderful ideas. My family is big and I do not get a lot of Me time. but after reading your blog I am going to be sure and turn the world off once in a while. I think that is exactly what I need.
Blessing to you and a wonderful new year.

Jeanie said...

Not everyone is so wise as you are to practice self-care, especially at the holidays. Me included, so this is an excellent reminder that while we are running ourselves ragged, looking for the perfect gift and wrapping it just so, that we owe a gift like the one you are giving to yourself to our own selves. Wise words.

I hope you holiday is just lovely (and I'm wildly curious to hear how the beef Wellington turns out! Brave soul, you!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Tonight, after working for days on getting my house ready for company that have allergies to dust, I finished. I then got some stem glassware out and filled it with some fine Rose’ wine; grabbed my iPad and turned on Michael Bublé Christmas music; went up to my bathroom and set the right temperature for the water; placed some battery operated candles around my tub; and carefully jumped in. It was a wonderful 40 minutes. Taking care of ourselves is necessary and you are totally right.

Enjoy yourself, Sandi, and find your peace.

Marissa said...

Super neat advice!! I have been so busy with the hustle and bustle that I realize its just too much sometimes. I was telling my husband I need to turn off the world and just sit still in silence. I do need some me time... but with a little one its so hard...

kate steeper said...

Your xmas sounds like paradise to me ...instead it will be endless domestic servitude for my ungrateful lot . the look on Mr BH face when i said id quite like to go on retreat over xmas and leave them all to it ...lol

TARYTERRE said...

enjoy your alone time. merry christmas.

Vonlipi said...

great ideas!I took a long walk in the cold crisp air this afternoon and it felt wonderful!

It gave me the energy to bake a big old batch of gingerbread cookies.

Take care of yourself and have wonderful Holidays!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...