Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Xmas Gifts by Myself

I mentioned how sad I felt that first Xmas after my husband and I separated with nothing under the tree for me (save a card and money order from my Mom and Dad). Well, here's how I 'solved' that problem.

With children, I'd learned to become a huge thrifter; and I was fortunate to be surrounded by great thrift stores. So, determined to have Santa bring me gifts, I would pick up things throughout the year at thrift stores -- things that I would normally buy for myself. A great jigsaw puzzle; a couple of good novels; an 'expensive" (under $20) piece of silver or gold jewellery; a set of gold rimmed cocktail glasses. Or if I was at a mall and saw a particularly good deal/low price on a new item, I'd buy that for myself. I'd never spend a lot at one time and I didn't buy a lot for myself. 

I'd take these items home, box them, wrap with Xmas paper and tuck them under the spare bed in the Xmas box I stored all my Xmas gifts in. Most of the time, by the time Xmas came, I wouldn't remember what I'd purchased. I might remember that I had a puzzle but I wouldn't remember what the picture would be, or the names of the novels I'd bought, or the color of new socks, etc. etc. And 20+ years later, I still do that for myself. 

This year on Christmas morning, I'll sit with my coffee and whatever delectable brekkie I decide to make for myself and open my Santa gifts. And they'll add to the joy and contentment of my own personal Xmas because I'm eager to begin that new puzzle (part of my old Xmas tradition) or read a new book while I savor my quiet, alone time in my new home (one of my new Xmas traditions).




5 comments:

Jack Tyler said...

So bittersweet, it could be fiction, my heart goes out to you even as I smile. My Christmas will be waist-deep in grandkids and excitement, but I'll make time to think of you, my old friend, and wish you a very merry Christmas.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

We all create our own traditions. Life can change on a dime and we have to find a way to carry on, even though they can be difficult. Happy Christmas, Sandy, and I hope 2019 brings you more possibilities.

I just sent my Retired Man out to get a puzzle as I always enjoy the challenge.

Barbara said...

That is a wonderful idea. Let's face it, by the time we are adults we are so hard to shop for it's almost a waste of money. By buying here and there, things that you really like and are in a price range that makes you feel even better about the item, you give yourself a win-win. It is hard to let go of expectations of Christmas past. I find myself with anxiety at the strangest moments, knowing that I head into the unknown every day of my retirement life.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Making new traditions can be a wonderful thing. Having gifts to open is always fun. Enjoy your new home and be happy!

Jeanie said...

That is a totally brilliant idea! (When I see something like that, I say it's from Lizzie the Cat! At least you are honest!)

I love it. We all learn to vamp as things change and I think this is just wonderful.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...