Monday, December 10, 2018

Searching for a Merry Christmas


This meme came across my Facebook feed this weekend, and I thought "Yeah! This is exactly what I came to realize this Fall!"



I moved home 2 years ago and have experienced 2 miserable, sad Xmas seasons for me. I told myself that last year would be my last here in NL; but not having the finances to go elsewhere caused me to rethink things this Fall. And that's when the shoe dropped.

I now realize that my enjoyment of Xmas is up to me. Of course Xmas  here in NL is not going to be like NS -- different location with different people, different traditions, etc etc. My failure to recreate Xmas MY way does not mean that I can't enjoy Xmas in NL. It just means being open to what the season has for me here in my new life AND my creating new traditions for myself. 
So, I've been busy letting go of what was while I search for what's important to me and what I can create here. My stress level is way down, my spirits have been lifted and I'm actually really looking forward to Christmas again.


I know that for a lot of people, Christmas is extremely hard and no amount of trying to create a happy Xmas will make it happen. My heart goes out to those folks.

But for those of us who are alone and seeking for ways to participate in this season and find even a modicum of joy, I hope my ideas help. I'll share them over the next couple of weeks. And please feel free to share your thoughts on the same.





8 comments:

Jeanie said...

You have discovered wisdom in a very big way. It IS up to us. It's always up to us. And setting new traditions can be fun, too -- they evolve and fade. Not long ago I wrote an article on moderncreativelife.com about traditions and why they matter to me. And I realized as I was writing that some of those I really treasured we don't do anymore. People moved, things changed. But we have new ones, and those are good too. I know you'll find a lovely Christmas this year because you are looking for it -- and that's the first step!

Sandi said...


You can make it whatever you want it to be. :)

NW MAN said...

I was so lucky as a kid to realize Xmas was going to be what I made it. I will never forget the look my parents exchanged when I opened THE gift I wanted to get, as a 10 year old. I continue the practice and never feel let down by “the season of giving.” Glad you learned how to make it work for you, too. Happy holidays.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

So many people seem to be in the dumps these days and the only way to get out of it is to break the cycle yourself. Finding some good in your days and looking forward to something with joy, can change everything for you. I have found that helping others, helps me also.

Susan said...

This year will be my fifth in what I still consider my new community. This is the first one I feel completely comfortable about Christmas. Keeping busy has helped, I volunteer for three groups and the nursing home in particular has kept me hopping. I've also figured out which community events I enjoy and which I don't. I'm not denying I haven't had some loneliness and doubts and not knowing if it would ever turn out OK is the worst. My advice would be to keep trying until you find the right fit and don't worry how long it is taking, one day you will realize it has come together. You have the right attitude. You go girl.

Emma said...

May this festive season sparkle and shine, may all of your wishes and dreams come true, and may you feel this happiness all year round. Merry Christmas!
Beautiful Christmas Gif

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The JOY of Christmas is that we're really never alone. I'm looking forward to hearing about what you've come up with. I'm blessed with some family to share the holidays with, but most of the time it's just me too. I've kept busy making gifts for Christmas so there has not been a boring day trying to get it all done. Next I'll be baking too. The Christmas music is playing and that always brings some cheer to some dark gloomy days. I am looking forward to the 1st day of Winter as that will bring more daylight one minute at a time. Take care and enjoy Christmas, all be it in a different way.

Vonlipi said...

The Xmas spirit is within yourself. some years it is harder than others...

since 2016 I have been struggling with my Xmas joy...always manage to find some, but sometimes it can be bare bones1

2016 my Dad passed, 2017 my SO was in a wheelchair....2018 so far so good....but really busy at work and I am trying to sell my house and all the stuff...

only time will tell...hang in there

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...