Monday, December 7, 2009

More Decorations

I have a small collection of nativity scenes. Here are some of them -
*
The 1st floor powder room holds these 3 - the left one was made by my brother, the middle by a dear friend and the one on the right came from a little gift shop in the city before my children were born.
**
The 3 Kings candles were some of the first decorations I ever bought. I got them at a Xmas craft fair when I was a single girl living in the city. They're about 30 years old, and I've never had the heart to light them.
*
*
This is my favorite nativity scene, with the pieces standing about 7" high. It's by an American artist named Jim Shore whose work shows his love of folk art and his appreciation of quilting which was taught to him by his grandmother. It's a gorgeous set! And it's made even more special to me because the children bought most of the set for me over a number of years.
**
Here are 2 more of my larger Jim Shore pieces. The attention to detail is exquisite! These angels are about 10.5" high; and the skirt of the angel on the right is actually a shell with a small, illuminated nativity scene inside.

I have other smaller Jim Shore pieces which I'll share with you later; and I've even been fortunate enough to pick up some of them at yard sales for great prices!
*
*
This is the top of my antique pine jelly cupboard, a gift many years ago from my Ex who lovingly stripped and restored it. The glass bulbs in the jar were bought just recently in one of the 99 cents bags I've mentioned; and I love the glass angel candle holders (purchased from my favorite store, Value Village!)
**
And finally, here's my Xmas village. All the pieces for this were purchased from thrift stores.
*
This set up is on the shelf below my nativity scene.

*
And this is the larger set up which sits in front of the living room window.

It's not a fancy village, but it sure casts a pretty glow in the evening.


3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love your Nativity collection. and the Jim Shore one is beautiful. I don't own any but have seen alot of his work displayed and it is all very nice. Your Christmas village is so cute too. I usually put one out but the past few years I've not as it's alot of work to go to and there is really no one but me at my house ever to see it. We do our family get together at one of my son's so no one will be at my house.

Anna said...

Everything is so beautiful!I haven't light my special candles. I love your Christmas village too.It makes a wonderful magic atmosphere .Bye.

Angie in T.O. said...

Beautiful tree and I love the stories of some of the ornaments.

We did a "cardinal" bird theme on our tree this year.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...