Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain .....

It's afternoon tea break here at the office ..... 
and I'm alone ..... 
and it's gently raining.  



It's so quiet here ... and so peaceful.  I've stopped and put my stocking feet up.  And the quiet, the peace and the gentle rain falling make my tea (and arrowroot biscuits) taste even better.  

I'm facing the large picture window that overlooks the pines growing in the front yard and the brilliant colored leaves of the deciduous trees across the road.  An occasional car drives by on its way to shops and business's in the industrial park.  But mostly, it's just me, and the clock and the falling rain on this metal building's roof.

So quiet and peaceful.

I'm thinking of how we so seldom have these moments of quiet and peace now-a-days.  Unlike our fathers and grandfathers, a lot of us have to "make" these moments happen.  At home there's kids and phones, TV's and I-tunes, showers running, refrigerator door opening and closing; "Have you seen my ....?"  The coffee shop can be quiet, but it's mostly because people have plugged in to their phone, talking or texting.  What's happened to sitting and making eye contact with others!  

Today I wish for you all to enjoy some quiet and peace.  I hope for a figurative "gentle rain" to fall upon you.  I hope that you'll get to sit in comfort and peace and drink tea and eat bickies and reflect on the goodness and restorative elixir of just sitting in nothingness ............. before you have to get back to life.







8 comments:

Jack Tyler said...

So true! I, too, have to go to work on a night or weekend in order to hear myself think, but then, the sounds of loved-ones enjoying life and our company isn't so big an imposition when you think about it...

Beautiful post, nonetheless.

Pamela Gordon said...

Sounds idyllic, Sandy. We'll be listening to the rhythm of the falling rain tomorrow.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I have a poem on my desk that reminds us to just "stand and stare." It's true. We take little time to just sit and do nothing - we need to experience peace and solitude more than we do.
Thus reminded I am on my way to make a cup of lemongrass green tea and have a cookie. It's drizzling rain here in Ohio and actually a good day to experience listening to the rhythm of the falling rain.

Bonnie said...

Sandy, a lovely and welcomed post. I too believe we have to take the moments and just breathe. Thanks for the reminder. Bonnie

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE this post. Sounds perfect.

Cheri said...

Such a great tea break you had. I love the sound of rain on the roof. You are so right how most people seldom take the time to just sit and enjoy peacefulness.
Cheri

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

A break like that one would be hard to beat. Glad you got some quiet moments to enjoy.

char said...

Hello! Just got your comment on my secret santa post and yes, it's open to overseas folk- I don't have any other sign-ups from Canada yet so you'll probably have to send to another country. If that's all ok, drop me an email :) X

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...