Tuesday, September 23, 2014

LESS STRESS




We’ve all heard the phrase “Less is More”?  Well, I’ve decided to apply that adage to my own life in regards to stress.  Less stress = more life!  Of course, no one can alleviate all the stressors in their life.  But there ways we can help.  So, over the next 4 weeks I’m giving myself a personal challenge to try to distress my life by at least ¼ of what it is now. Here are the areas I’m going to work on.

1.     Food

I do usually eat good, nutritious food:  low in fat and sodium, lots of fiber, whole grains, protein.  But because of my terrible sweet-tooth, I also tend to consume a fair amount of refined sugar.  Bad!  Bad, Sandy! As well, I need to limit my consumption of wheat products as it bothers my tummy.  And with the recent move to eating mostly vegetarian, I’m hoping my cravings can be brought under control by making even more good choices.   

 

2.     Sleep Habits

After the fun and freedom of summer, the Autumn back-to-students routine really helps me return to what is normal for my house. Work, dinner, conversation and/or TV, a book in bed and lights out by 11 pm during the week all add up to a rested and happy Sandy. After almost 60 years, I can read my body; and my body likes regularity .... with an occasional dalliance into the unexpected.

I also need to remember a few key things to help enable sleep to come: things like no caffeine or chocolate after 2 pm, no food after 6 pm, no stimulating phone conversations …… and no worrying if I do have a night when sleep alludes me.  Menopause!

 

3.     Exercise

I was the grateful recipient of the wonderful benefits of exercise for years.  And I hate the fact that I’m still not able to participate in yoga or Zumba any longer without pain and setback. I was told a week ago that with bone spurs on both hips, any amount of walking and hiking will just make things worse. But I can't give up! So, I continue with simple stretches and twice weekly short walks. But next month after my “big” birthday, I plan on joining the rec centre for swim classes. 

We must move people!  There’s always something we can do, and I refuse to give up completely.  I shall “not go gentle into that dark night!”.

 

4.     “ME” Time


Daughters visiting; new students arriving.  Yup!  It's time to get back to ensuring that I get some down time for myself. Due to age and thyroid, I seldom schedule events on my weekday evenings: feet up, heating pad at my back, getting lost in TV or a book is a must for me in order to rejuvenate and function until the weekends.  And even on weekends, sandwiched in between dances or movies or road trips or activities with the girls, I have to be allowed a few hours to just putter. It's one of the things at the top of my "To Do" list.  






5.     Disorganization 
You know how you get used to the things around you and become blind to the obvious.  Well, that’s what’s happened here.  I opened up my eyes a few weeks ago and realized that although I'm not at the hoarder stage, the house is close to being featured on one of those purge and re-organize programs.  I hold onto things thinking I’ll sell that when I have a yard sale:  then spring comes, and I can’t have a yard sale because I can’t lift things up and down stairs and out onto tables.  And I struggle with the fact that there’s good stuff there and, therefore, money to be made or lost.


But you know what?  I can’t concentrate when the house is a big mess. I used to have a lot of “organized” stuff; not I just have a lot of stuff:  and I don’t have the energy to try to begin to tackle organizing because there’s just so much. I find myself thinking about the “stuff” and how much I hate being this disorganized.  So, I asked myself this weekend if the money to be made at a yard sale was more than the serenity to be found by just giving it to the thrift shop.  And the answer was no!  There’s more value in the serenity. 

So, over the next couple of weeks, I am going to tackle my house; not all at once -- one room at a time to avoid being overwhelmed. I’m going to do a little every weekend; the girls can load up the trunk of my car, and I’ll share the “wealth” with the Salvation Army and The Daisy - great thrift shops that bring extra benefits to this area.  And I'll gain a tidier home, more freedom and less stress.


Less stress is worth working towards, right?

So .... 
4 weeks .....

One step at a time; 
day by day; 
little by little; 
bit by bit
  




5 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Food for thought here Sandy in more ways than one, I have several (many) unfinished projects that come to mind. Start. Finish. And wheat. Yes. Gave up the sugar a while back....but wheat, ouch.

XO
WWW

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds like a plan. I wish you well with it.

WendyMcLeodMacKnight said...

Great advice! I need things in order in order to concentrate, so I can relate!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Don't tackle too much there all at once. One step at a time...Nice to have a plan and something to aim for though. Happy Fall !

Miss Dishywoo said...

I can relate to your well-thought list. It is good to be able to take stock and see what your life needs from time to time. When you know yourself well enough to realize what you need,that's even better. Good sleep, a little down time, eating well and getting your home organized - who wouldn't benefit from that! This is a good time of year to start your program. I wish you great success.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...