I hate the thought of adding a bottle of cholesterol meds to my nightstand next to my throid medication. Next thing you know, my dentures will be in the tupperware container with my hearing aid on top and empty prune juice glass beside it! And following that will be loud snoring while I sleep and drool dripping onto my pillow and waking with crusty stuff in the corners of my eyes!
- Lots of veg and fruit (which contain no cholesterol!)
- Hold the red meat and bring on the chicken & fatty fish (full of omega-3)
- Eliminate bad fat -- trans and sats -- at least until those levels are down! (And no more living like I have been for the past 2 months ... full-fat ice cream, trifle, all that butter on my popcorn. Naughty Sandy!)
- Exercise (At last! One thing that I'm already doing right!)
- Supplements such as Omega 3 fish oil capsules, B complex, chromium (Phew! I re-started taking those about 3 weeks ago!)
- And finally, the nemsis of high cholesterol - OATMEAL! The Quaker Oats people describe it as this: "Think of rolled oats as tiny sponges that soak up cholesterol and carry it from your body".
(Now, if only they could find some little sponges to carry all those nasty fat cells from our body. And if only those sponges tasted like chocolate. Get back to work food scientists! )
This crappy aging stuff sure is educational!
And mighty tasty too!"