Friday, June 4, 2010

A Wet and Trifling Day

Most of May was sunny and warm in Nova Scotia; but the last week has been wet and dreary, and today is no exception. Therefore, I present to you my soggy garden, with lots of things threatening to bloom (but needing sunshine to accomplish that task) and these brave little soldiers still hanging on. And don't forget to visit Tootsie; there'll be sunshine somewhere in her list of Fertilizer Friday attendees.
.
.


Jupiter's Beard is one of those plants anxiously waiting for the sunshine to really show itself off. Isn't the color wonderful.
.

My hanging basket of Petunias are also very pretty (even if they do need to be deadheaded!).
My brave little soldier of an Iris has 3 blooms and is peaking. Sunshine! Where are you when we need you?
.

The Meadow Rue is also at it's peak..
The only new thing to bloom this week are the Mountain Bluettes; there are 3 of my own and 3 that I purchased last weekend showing off their pretty petals..
And because of the shade in the back garden, the Solomen's Seal is still around. I love the bold colors of the blue candle holder against the green leaves and delicate little white blooms..
.
What's a girl to do if it rains all weekend?
.
Well, first thing she does is go to the closing dinner tonight for the International students. Roast beef with gravy and all the fixings! (It was really yummy last year.) The host parents bring dessert; so I decided to make English trifle .... with a Reasonably Chubby twist! (http://reasonablychubby.blogspot.com/)
.
Here are my ingredients: a 9X13 white cake, drained mandarins, chopped strawberries, 2 pkg prepared vanilla pudding and daahling Chubby's version of clotted cream - a mixture of cream cheese, sugar and whipping cream! (For every block of cream cheese use 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup whipping cream.) Gorgeous!!
.
And here's the finished product: from the top (avec shavings au chocolat)
.
and from the side, showing all those lovely layers..
The other thing a girl must do when dealing with a foul-weather weekend is to spend it indoors ----- at one of the largest yard sales in the province! Tomorrow morning, I'll be lining up with other die-hard thrifters for 8 AM entrance to the annual S.H.A.I.D. Animal Shelter yard sale. (I'll wear my wellies and a rain hat!!)
.
I hope your weekend is wonderful, bloggies, regardless of weather!

17 comments:

Judy said...

I'm unfamiliar with the Mountain Bluettes...wonder if they would grow in Michigan...I'll have to investigate that...Thanks

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is a little wet in our part of the woods too. Off and on for the whole of the weekend I think. Hopefully it will be more off than on. Enjoy that sale. I know you'll be finding some wonderful bargains.

Suburban Princess said...

Your trifle looks yummy!
Have fun thrifting tomorrow!

Antique ART Garden said...

Good heavens you are a busy, productive woman ! I need to follow your example ! Great post, Gina

Kathy C. said...

Oh YUM! Can I dig into that truffle please? That looks fantastic. And your garden, so beautiful. Our spring flowers, like petunias, are coming to an end soon, summer flowers are busting at the seams though!

Karen said...

Your garden is beautiful!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's raining here again too, but lately that seems to be what we see almost everyday for the last month.
I wish my Meadow Rue had half of your flowers! I didn't know they got that many blooms.
I hope the weather changes for both of us soon.
Have fun thrifting tomorrow!
PS That trifle looks delicious.

THELOOKING_GLASS said...

I think I gained 5 lbs, just looking at all these yummy desserts!
XOX

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh I love all your flowers! I always enjoy my visits to your garden. Good Luck at the sales!!! That dessert, yummy!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yum yum and yum!
I think that looks most divine!

I love your little garden decorations. You are so clever.

Hoping for warm and sunshine for both of us!

Wanda..... said...

We,ve had a little too much rain lately too and maybe even more over the weekend.

Enjoy the closing dinner, especially the English trifle dessert!

...Wanda

Marie Rayner said...

What a beautiful garden you have Sandy, wet or not!! that trifle looks gorgeous as well! Nom Nom!!

Unknown said...

Oh, I could go for some of that trifle!

wendy said...

I too am waiting for sunshine. It is supposed to rain for the next 6 days. Does it ever warm up in Alberta?? I have some potted plants and hanging baskets for the deck that are out and I see their little blossoms crying for some warmth and sun.
And I also tried a very little garden that hopefully the deer won't get into.
happy thrift shopping

Beth said...

Yummm. The Trifle not the flowers LOL

Jeannie B. said...

I love your blog, it always makes me smile.

Liane said...

Your flowers are beautiful but I want me some of that trifle! YUM! Can't wait to see your treasures from the yard sale......

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...