Friday, October 15, 2010

I'm hitting the stage!


Although I've been a class clown since I started school, I've never stood on a stage and acted in front of people. Tonight, that will change!
.
For the past month, I've joined a group of wonderful, brave, beautiful women, aged 17 to 70 to practice for this weekend's performance of the following play:
.

Internationally acclaimed play written by Eve Ensler
Oct. 15 - 16 • 8pm
Astor Theatre, Liverpool, NS
.
Funny - Sad - Outrageous Thought-provoking
You’ll laugh, cry, gasp, sigh
Proceeds to CanadianBreast Cancer Foundation.
.
.
For some who have never heard of or seen this play, it may seem quite shocking and perhaps even tabu! Some may even question how a Christian woman could act in something that talks so openly about "private" things; or they may wonder how she can be in the company of other actors whose roles use much more graphic actions or language. And I admit that I've had to focus on my own role and stretch to be part of this.
.
But I'm a woman who celebrates women -- our uniqueness, our feminity, our beautiful aging bodies, our God-given role here on earth and the gift of freedom that He's given us to be who we were created to be. And as a victim of abuse and rape, I find that His love which healed me and my own aging coupled with His guidance are helping me to be more vocal against things that are wrong. This play is a powerful voice!
.
This is what The Astor Theatre itself says about The Vagina Monologues:
..
.....
.
A poignant, powerful, and sometimes hilarious tour of the last frontier, the ultimate forbidden zone, The Vagina Monologues is a celebration of female sexuality in all its complexity and mystery. In this stunning phenomenon that has swept the nation, Eve Ensler gives us real women's stories of intimacy, vulnerability, and sexual self-discovery. Based on interviews with over 200 women about their memories and experiences of sexuality, The Vagina Monologues is witty and irreverent, compassionate and wise. "At first women were reluctant to talk," Ensler writes. "They were a little shy. But once they got going, you couldn't stop them." The Vagina Monologues has been performed in cities all across America and at hundreds of college campuses. It has inspired a dynamic grassroots movement - V-Day - to promote awareness and stop violence against women. Eve Ensler's Obie Award-winning masterpiece gives voice to women's deepest fantasies and fears, guaranteeing that no one who sees it will ever look at a woman's body, or think of sex, in quite the same way again.
.
.....
.
My monologue is "The Flood". And tonight, I hope we all
"break a leg"!
.
.

17 comments:

Gail said...

Break a leg...you will do great!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are a brave soul, but it sounds as though you are really into it all. Break a leg!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I envy you. I performed in plays when I was in school and in variety shows while I was teaching. I wish I lived close by so I could come see your show!

Wendy said...

Good for you! Break a leg!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you for being part of this! This play is a real phenomenon in women's artistic expression about our lives!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

You go girl. Yes, I have heard about the play and it gives us all a 'voice'. I do wish I lived nearby so I could come cheer you on! I just got a feelin' your gonna be great. :o)

You have a marvelous weekend and now go 'break a leg'.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

WHAT ENCOURAGEMENT!
YOU GUYS ARE SO AWESOME!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow what a wonderful opportunity! I am proud of you. Break a Leg and have a wonderful time. I've only read about the monologues not seen them in person!

highheeledlife said...

What a wonderful experience.. You will be great!!! Break a leg...

Can't wait to read how it all went.. HHL

ethelmaepotter! said...

Your passion for this role is what will make you terrific in it - and YOUR passion will fire others...

Please post reviews!!!!

Amy said...

From one actor to another: Break A Leg! You will be fabulous! Nothing like being on stage, the adrenalin, the applause... it is addictive!

Blondee said...

Good for you!! Have a wonderful time, enjoy the process, and 'break a leg'!

Thank you for the kind comments, I'm glad you 'came over', and I will be back!

Happy weekend!
Blondee

Maureen said...

Congrats on stepping outside of your comfort zone! You will knock their socks off!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Good for you. Nothing disgraceful about how you're aging! Break a leg.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my....you are one brave woman... I HATE getting up in front of people... Wishing you a WONDERFUL time...

Warm hugs,
Spencer

svelteSTUFF said...

BRAVO! to a VERY courageous Woman!

Rebecca said...

Don't know how I lost touch with your blog, but how exciting to come back and hear of this adventure! I admire the way you've challenged yourself with this discipline. I know you've put a lot of hard work into it.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...