Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cookie Cutters

What's that up there? Way up here above my refrigerator? ...... Oh! It's my pretty yellow picnic hamper.
***
I saw one of these at an antique/junk shop somewhere many years ago & fell in love with it. Then I saw that it had a $35 price tag on it; so I put it back on the shelf. But I firmly believe what the bible says when it states that God is concerned about every single thing in your life and that He will give you the desires of your heart. (And I realize that He's talking about soooo much more than tin picnic hampers here! But I think He does also mean "every single thing"!) So, when I came across this treasure a few months later at a yard sale and it had a $5 price tag, I scooped it up and said a prayer of thanks to My Heavenly Papa!
***
Let's take the lid off and see what's inside ...
*
*
*
These are my latest acquisitions -- the snowflake cookie cutters. I purchased these online because I'd looked for them for a couple of years & couldn't find them. Then, of course, a couple of weeks after I'd received them, I found them at a local store! Oh well! I'm just happy that I have them to use this Xmas.

***
These mini cutters that I bought at Value Village are perfect for canapes etc. But my girls still like to use them for all the leftover bits of cookie dough.
***
Here are some more Xmas cutters that get used for our sugar cookies.
***
And these get used for our gingerbread cutouts. We don't have a girl cutout per se (on my list, Santa!); so we use the green cutout and improvise a skirt. As well, everyone needs a gingerbread bear, right?

***
Let's take the rest out and have a look .....



*
*
I just found these Thanksgiving cookie cutters at Value Village for $4. Too bad I didn't have these in early October. They have to wait for next year now.
**
The hearts were given to me by an old friend when my children were very young. And, as you can see, they've been used a lot.
**
This was a gift from my German student when she arrived. It's the Brandenburger Tor in the city of Berlin. We'll use this one at Christmas as well.
***
**
*
I love my cookie cutters! They don't get used as much as they used to, but they still get used.
**
Tell me about your collections. Who else out there collects cookie cutters and take enormous delight in having just the right cookie cutter for the appropriate season?






13 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Cookie cutters are so fun but I barely use them!
sandy toe

Old Time Cindy said...

Cut out cookies are not the best use of my talents...my sister is the cut out cookie queen in our family. I do have a few old cookie cutters and do need to display them. Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Vonlipi said...

That is quite a collection! But you're missig a maple leaf!

I inherited my mother's cookie cutters and I used them for gingerbread every year. I don't separate mine by cookie types like you. I bake gingerbread cats,snowmen,cactii,maple leaves,hearts etc....That reminds me...I need to make and freeze the dough pretty soon! :)

In case you hadn't noticed I collect Pyrex! LOL

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful collection you have. Mine are now stored in my cookie jar as I just don't make many cookies anymore. I don't have half what you do but I do have some cute ones. It seems that these days my children are cookie bakers and I just enjoy them when they share. I do remember the days when they were all home and the tins and tins of cookies that were baked the weeks just before Christmas.

SueLovesCherries said...

Oh, yes, sometimes it does pay to wait (on the Lord)! Can't believe the price you got it for! Super!

Ooh, you're from N.S.! Mister's grandfather (who's 99 and still drives a car) hails from there!

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

I love your picnic hamper - and your collection of cookie cutters! I have an enormous collection, too! I was just thinking I need to post some photos of mine, but there are so many it's intimidating! I'm so into the mini cutters now. I need to find more of them! I love yours! I love the autumn ones (I'd so be using those turkey cutters!!) and the snowflakes!

Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Those are such cute cookie cutters!
I'm embarassed to say that I have NO cookie cutters!
I am a failure.

Anonymous said...

You know what I think??? I think you should buy a great big ol' glass jar and display all your fabulous cookie cutters all year round. What do you think? My cookie cutters are 40 years old now. I am the world's lousiest sugar cookie maker. When the recipe says I should be able to get a dozen cookies out of the recipe I might get six. But I fondly remember making the Christmas sugar cookies as a child. It was a day long event leading up to Christmas. I remember eating so much of the icing I didn't want to ever see another sugar cookie again. We would store them in Mom's big old roaster. xo Lynn

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Wow! An older neighbor lady gave me my first set of cookie cutters when I was four or five. I've been adding to them all my life. I even have the full nativity set. Pleeze don't hate me!

My fave thing to do with sugar cookie dough (besides sample it) is hand cookies. I trace around the Grandkids hands, bake the cookies, then let the kiddos decorate THEIR hands. It's just too much fun.

Have a great day filled with the blessings of fresh baked cookies!!!

★Carol★ said...

Oh boy, do I love that yellow picnic basket! Lucky, lucky you! I'm still on the hunt for a yellow one to round out my collection. And it's filled with treasures too! Love those cookie cutters!

ethelmaepotter! said...

What a fabulous collection; I like Lynn's suggestion of the big glass jar for showing these off - you can probably find a great one at a yard sale or thrift store for practically nothing, or buy one of Walmart's huge pickle jars - full of pickles!
My mom had all the Christmas ones, including the gingerbread boy and girl, and she also has the little Scottish Terrier dog, but I've never even seen some of these you have. I LOVE the snowflakes and the music notes! I think I'll try to find some of those notes; my son is a band director at a high school, and I like to take treats for the band at least a couple of times a year. Music cookies would be perfect!

lisa said...

I love your collection of cookie cutters. I had cutters at different points of "thinking" I could be domestic. I can cook well, but, I so suck at baking. I am JEALOUS!! Just the past week, I thought, Perhaps, once again, I would try to bake. Hmmmmm.........I'd love to have a great sugar cookie recipe. Anyone??

DK said...

I love cookie cutters. I have over 100 of them. But I still keep buying more. I am from Winterpeg so its very cold here in the winter. So I want a mitten cookie cutter next. Also my husband really likes hot peppers and the other day as I was looking up christmas cookie recipes in Food Network. com I found a recipe there where they had made cookies in the shape of chili peppers. So now I want one of those. Hmm maybe someone will put a cookie cutter in my stocking.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...