Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Have I sung to you the joys of oats?  Have I told you how much I love oats and especially eating porridge in the morning?  (Or at lunch or dinner or for a snack?)


Hear me singing:  

The "OAT" to Joy

Joyful, joyful, I adore Thee

Grain of wonder, Grain delight

Heart disease will bow before Thee

Diabetes will lose the fight.

Melting pounds of fat and sadness
Driving hunger pains away
Giver of immortal fullness
What a way to start the day!





Yes, good old rolled oats are one of nature's superfoods.  Just look at what it can do for you:

  • Oats contain oodles of soluble fiber -- much more than in whole wheat or corn.  This fiber absorbs water in your body which means you will feel fuller for longer!  A great aid to anyone wanting to lose weight.  
  • Also because of that lovely soluble fiber, it reduces high blood pressure and lowers cholesterol & heart disease.
  • That same lovely soluble fiber can reduce your risk of diabetes; it helps your body to control blood-glucose levels and is actually recommended by the Canadian and American Diabetes Associations.
Hmmm!  This has me looking
at Mr Quaker in a whole
new light!
  • Research links fiber and other nutrients found in oatmeal to  reducing the risk of some cancers.
  • If you add them to your diet, you're adding many different vitamins and minerals that your diet should contain; they are also an excellent source of protein and iron.
  • If you eat it regularly, it can help boost your immune system and even your libido!   
  • They are totally natural (unless you buy those pre-prepared or sweetened oats which may contain other stuff).  Read your label!
  • Here is a recipe for Nova Scotia Oatcakes
  • They are cheap, cheap, cheap!  Everyone has a bag or box of oats in their cupboard, right? 
  • They are tres versatile!  Pancakes, muffins, cookies, breads, granola, fillers for meatloaf, and on and on and on.  Oh --- and let's not forget about ............... oatcakes!  (Can you hear celestial choirs?)  
I too look as gorgeous as this
when I'm scrubbing the top
layer of skin off my face.
  • Oatmeal is also good for you inside and  outside!  There are oatmeal masks for your face, scrubs for your body, oatmeal in your bath to soothe itching and irritation, oatmeal soap.  


It's the olive oil of the grain community!



Now, some of you are probably thinking:  "OMG!  How boring are oats!  How old fashioned!  I'm a modern, with-it gal!"

I am here to say "Au contraire, mon amie"!  Today's new fangled porridge is colorful and multi-flavored.  You spruce up porridge by adding fresh fruit, sweetener, spices and cocoa powder or chocolate chips.  You can cook your oats with other grains such as  flax seeds, quinoa or wheat berries.  And you can use regular milk or soy or almond milk.  You can create an oatmeal connucopia of awesomeness!

You can see my bowl of goodness in the first picture.  My oatmeal this morning started with 1/2 a mashed banana, hot 'n' chewy large flake oatmeal (my fave!), a drizzle of Agave syrup and a handful of blueberries.

RAWR Oatmeal!

And that's all I have to say about that.








13 comments:

Red said...

Yes rolled oats! I have rolled oats almost every day and like you there are many different ways to play with them to get some pretty interesting dishes.

Terra said...

I am with you, rawr oatmeal. Brown sugar, craisins, light whip cream. Yum.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love them also, but I always need raisins or strawberries in them thar oats.

Janet said...

Thank you - your post was just what I needed. Off the treadmill and looking for an after-run meal (was cold, too) - oatmeal fit the bill perfectly. I had it with sliced almonds, craisins and just a touch of brown sugar. Yummy!!!

TARYTERRE said...

I absolutely ADORE your ODE to OATS. WITTY and WISE. We eat oatmeal here often. We put chopped apples, cranberries and raisins in it. So yummy. Have never had an oatcake, that you allude to, though. So I'm going to have to make some. Take care. ENJOY your OATS.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oatmeal for breakfast is good and Oatmeal cookies are great too. Some old fashioned things just can't be beat.

Pamela Gordon said...

I think I'm going to have to re-think oatmeal. It's something I've never ever liked since I was a kid but it's so good for us. Thanks for the encouragement. Are quick oats good too or should they be steel cut? Thanks for this interesting post! Pamela

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Love this post. My daughter will back you up a hundred percent. Your advocacy of grains cannot be anymore vehement. Both my husband and me have a history of cardio vascular diseases and now we have diabetese. Our poor kids are trying to beat their family history. Wish us luck !

Barb said...

Well, Sandy - I know oatmeal is good for fiber and heart health but libido???? I like steel cut myself, but I'm not so fond of it I consider it snack food. More like - well, it's good for me so I should have some.

momto8 said...

thanks for the information...my son eats oatmeal every morning!
i made apple crisp for dessert tonight..using oats!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
Happy Wednesday!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Woohoo!!! I had mine this mornin' with raisins, cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, brown sugar and vanilla. It's a super meal I tell ya!!!

Rawr...oatmeal!!!

God bless and enjoy your day my friend!!!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oops...I throw in some walnuts too! MMmmmmmm!!!!

Hannah said...

Aaaaaah! I'm totally going to be at risk of singing about oats if we eve actually of Joyful Joyful in my gospel choir now!! :P

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...