Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shrimp 'n' Shirataki


Remember the Shirataki noodles that I bought at the Asian market in the city?  The ones I've been searching for forever?   (Or at least since I first heard about them from Hungry Girl .  Well, today was test day.  

Here's what the website says about them: 

     Descriptions: Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti Noodle is composed of thin gelatinous strings made from soybeans & yam flour (polysaccharide-glucomannan) from the Konnyaku root and has very low caloric or digestible food values. Shirataki contains NO preservatives and is GLUTEN FREE.  A healthy, uniquely textured noodle - that pleases people of all ages!
Tofu Shirataki really shines as a delicious replacement for wheat-based pasta thus GREAT for Low Carb Dieters. 
      Ingredients: Water, Tofu(water, Soybeans, Calcium Sulfate, Glucono Delta Lactone), Yam Flour, Calcium Hydroxide.  Nutrition Facts: Servings Per 4 oz (113g) Calories 20 Fat 0g Sodium 15mg Carbohydrate 1g Fiber 0g Sugar 0g Protein 0g
     Preparation:  Shirataki noodles are precooked and easy to prepareRinse the noodles for 1-2 minutes.  Drain thoroughly and paper towel dry very well and serve just like regular pasta, stir-fry, or add into your favourite soup and salad. Always add the noodles as the last ingredient of cooking to avoid noodle become chewy.
*DO NOT COOK SHIRATAKI  NOODLE. COOKING MAKE THE NOODLE CHEWY.

I rinsed them as instructed "to remove their unique aroma":  I did not notice a unique aroma.

I decided on a stir fry, so I used a recipe I'd found for shrimp and spaghetti.

 I did a taste test based on the recipe, but it seemed a little bland.  So I figured, let's try some of that new Chili Garlic sauce that I bought.
See these 2 bottles of chili sauce?  The one on the right clearly indicates "Hot" Sriracha sauce.  And I've tried that one; and they didn't lie!  The one on the left does not indicate that it's hot; and when I unscrewed the lid, I smelled a sweet, garlic aroma.  I put in 2 tsp of this Chili Garlic sauce.  It smelled delicious.  Ummmm!
 
 
And it was delicious!

Most delicious!  


It could also remove the varnish off my oak cabinets, the rust off my back fender, the top layer off my lips and the protective layer of mucus off the back of my throat!  


HOT!!!


Whooah Nelly!  (Apologies were quickly made to innocent Asian children sitting at the table!)  


Smart Natsumi interspersed forkfuls of food with large sips of milk, quietly cooling the flames of Hades on her tongue.


But after the first couple of mouthfuls, good ole trooper Elly joined me in lauding an appreciation of hotness as well as the exquisite taste of the dish.  (From personal experience, we both know the value of increased hotness!)



I give Shirataki Noodles a big thumbs up!  Can't wait to buy more.


I give Sriracha sauce - of any kind - a huge caution symbol -- and then a thumbs up!


(I shall tread more slowly with my next experiment!)












4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Srirachi is HOT, indeed. I remember the first time we had it here. "Cooling the flames of Hades" was the least of it. LOL Other than the heat the dish you made sounds DELICIOUS.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm not a fan of hot stuff but I do love stir fried shrimp. There must be a good sauce out there that isn't so hot. You are a brave indeed with your cooking adventures. Hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Sounds like you're having fun trying out your new ingredients. I don't think I could have eaten the hot sauce though.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh those are the noodles Dr. Oz raves about!

The dish looks magnificent and girl...I like it hot! 'Just sayin'....

I'm havin' so much fun readin' your culinary adventure.

God bless ya sweetie! :o)

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...