Today Ma gave us "10 Reasons to have a Happy New Year" (found here Thursday, January 5th, 2012).
But because I adore Christmas and all things Christmas (including holiday specials, relatives being here, mall Santas and Xmas trees), I decided I would tweak her 10 reasons to more accurately reflect how I feel -- that although I'm always sad to say goodbye to Christmas, I am also always happy to greet a new year.
So, here are MY 10 reasons to have a Happy New Year.
10. Although the TV Holiday specials are over, regular programming is about to commence! Excitement people!
9. Winter is a perfectly acceptable season for wearing funny hats. I have a black velvet hat that is very "Cat in the Hat" like; I love it! And one of my daughter's favorite gifts this year was one similar to this: mighty hard to be a grump with a pig on your head, huh!
8. Although we sad to say farewell to children who are leaving us again, they are going back to school to continue to grow up and to move on with their own lives.
And some foreign daughters are coming back to their Canadian homes to spend a little more time with us.
7. Mall Santas are history; but fan-tabulous winter sales continue. Thrifters rejoice!
6. As we undecorate, it gives us an opportunity to re-evaluate if we really need all that Xmas decor that we have. (Remember the 365 items challenge I spoke about yesterday?) And our once-beautiful but now dried up Xmas tree can continue to serve Planet Earth.
5. Only three more months till Spring! That means 3 more months of trying out new soups and stews, hunkering down with good books ('cause you can't do much outside!), warm sweaters, wooly socks, and those wonderful, inevitable snow days.
4. Our new Xmas gifts come out from under the tree and we get to use and enjoy them: find the perfect place to show off that new blue glass cannister; excitedly crack open the spine of that new George RR Martin book; wear those sexy purple leopard print undies.
3. Yes, leftover turkey is finally gone; but there's the anticipation of the day when you will happily thaw and bake that delicious turkey pot pie waiting in the freezer. Not today; but I know that someday in the not too distant future, I will salivate at the thought.
2. Sledding, skating & ski season is here. It's so much fun to dress like the Michelin man, head outside with friends and spend a few hours falling down a lot - and laughing at yourself. And there's the extra added bonus of hot chocolate, glowing cheeks and falling asleep easier!
And the number one reason to have a Happy New Year...
1. You're still here! Yes, you've made it through another Christmas and beaten old man time to greet another year -- one full of unsullied days and untold opportunities!
Now troops -- onward and upward!