Monday, June 15, 2009

COMFORT AND CONTENTMENT

Yes people; dreams really do come true! (Sometimes you have to put a lot of hard work into seeing those dreams come to fruition!) I have a clean and almost entirely organized house!! (Drat the linen closet and that ironing as I have not yet conquered it!)


Alas! No pictures of the completed garden as it's still cloudy with intermittant rain showers outside. I did get enough of a break in the rain on Saturday for me to actually finish the garden; but it was mostly an indoor weekend spent cleaning and organizing.


I toiled on Saturday shovelling and toting wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow full of gravel; between every half dozen barrows, I sat in the swing drinking cold water; the birds were singing and the brook was making the most wonderfully soothing noises. It was so rejuvenating, and I could envision myself in the very same spot in a few weeks with no gardening work to be done! Mind you, I'd be a lot cleaner, not be wearing my kerchief and dirty kneepads, and my hand would be holding a tumbler of Tanquery, tonic 'n' lime! I think I'd probably be slightly reclining with a pillow under my head, watching the flowers open and complaining about the heat. Ahhhh ... what incentive to keep working. Only 6 more days until the official 1st day of summer!


I spent a lot of time working this weekend; and to keep me moving, I spent a lot of time thinking about the things that bring me comfort and contentment.

- Being in my garden
- A hot, fragrant bubble bath (preferably with a glass of wine)
- A dish of good quality ice cream
- My alone time-early Saturday morning with a cup of dark French roast doing the New York Times crossword
- Reclining ANYWHERE and reading a good book
- A clean, organized house
- Being with those friends that I can really be myself with
- Not having to hold in my stomach (see above point)
- Homemade maccaroni and cheese
- Vick's Vaporub & a heated washcloth on my chest when I'm sick
- Sleeping in my own bed after being away
- Hearing my girls laughing in the next room when they get together
- Spending time just sitting with God and thinking about how much He loves me
- Reading the updates from my bloggie friends


There are so many wonderful things that make me feel good -- and most of them don't cost a dime.


I hope that the things that bring you the most comfort are also things that don't cost you! Blessings!




7 comments:

DUTA said...

You couldn't have chosen 2 better pictures to illustrate your feelings of comfort and contentment.
Very nice post.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like your list and am glad you have gotten so much accomplished. I can only dream of being to that point someday. It's good to dream and hope for sure. Most of my blessings never cost anything either.

Rebecca said...

I can identify with almost everything on your list. One I've forgotten about (but which instantly came "back" to me when I read it) is the Vicks Vaporrub with warm washrag applied for chest colds :)

Anita said...

I love your list. Makes me think of peace and contentment for sure! Hope you have a great week!

Sara said...

My list would be quite similar! Now I'm off to dig in the garden. This afternoon I'll be picking up a reserved book at the library, then back home to read and lounge! Have a great day.

Lisa said...

You give me something to think about. I'll have to work on my own list. Look forward to seeing your garden pictures.

A human kind of human said...

Amazing... This list could have been compiled by me, right down to loving to hear my girls' laughter when they get together. Thanks for a great post. I think I have just found a new kindred Blogger-spirit.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...