Friday, June 26, 2009

LET'S VISIT IN THE GARDEN

I'm joining Tootsie today at http://tootsietime.blogspot.com/ for Fertilizer Friday.


I wanted to take lots of pictures this weekend of my garden and then invite you to come visit. We had beautiful sunshine yesterday, and it's scheduled for today. However, it's supposed to be overcast tomorrow and rain (once again) for the next 4-5 days. Oh, woe is me! It sure makes it hard to get the weeding done when you work 9-5!

So, let's make do with a visit today using the few pictures I took a week ago.


As you walk up my driveway, the brook-side garden welcomes you. These lilies are forming flower buds and will probably open a little later than their siblings in my other beds. On the right side of the welcome sign, the Southernwood bush is a prize in my garden. This started as a small twig in my wedding bouquet 25 years ago. I had a elderly neighbor who gave it to me on the morning of my wedding and then collected it and rooted it for me. It's moved 4 times since then and is happy to call #56 it's home now. When I transplanted it the last time, I separated it, so now have two. Nova Scotians call this plant "Old Man", but I like the Newfoundland name for it - "Boy's Love". Have you ever smelled the southernwood plant? It's divine! Every time I pass it, I rub my fingers on it's lacy foilage. Next to that is a small Potentila bush. And in between are some sad little Hens 'n' Chicks that should be moved; they're struggling.

Although there are lots of buds eagerly waiting to open, there are only a few things in bloom right now. These 2 plants are in Larry's bed: a lovely columbine (Didn't last year's tag say this was supposed to be pink??) and what I believe is a Globe Thistle.




This is one of two pots sitting next to the front staircase. I love the Colleus, marigold and lobelia color mix of colors here.



And here's my front step piggy planter containing some mini petunias. He's always smiling -- no matter what the weather!




Let's go through to the back garden.

There's so much more I'd like to show you. But until I take the next pictures, why don't we sit and listen to the birds sing while we have some refreshment. We'll have some fresh strawberries - the first of this year's crop from the South Shore. And your choice of beverage -- iced tea with lemon, orange juice & soda, a cold Sleeman's Amber Ale or, my favorite for the summer, Tanqueray gin 'n' tonic with a generous twist of lime.

Thanks for coming by. I'll let you know when we're expecting the next sunny weekend; we can do this again. Happy weekend wherever you are!



9 comments:

Tootsie said...

I don't see any weeds!!!! just lots of pretty things to enjoy

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's very pretty there. What a neat story about the Southernwood bush (which I hadn't heard of before). That little pig is too cute :)

O.I.M said...

your garden looks lovely. i love the welcome sign. that purple flower looks like a mountain bluet to me. I have a good clump of them and they come back reliably...maybe a little too reliably...every year.
irena

Darla said...

Very nice! I'll have the gin and tonic please. Love the pig!!

Millie said...

I enjoyed the "walk " through your garden. I really like the look of that Southernwood..I don't think they grow here. Thanks for stopping by..

Susan said...

What a lovely tour through your garden! I enjoyed it immensely, especially the columbine. It is one of my favorite plants and I don't think I've ever seen a pure white one. I have a hard time growing them here for some reason.

Ooh, I'll take one of those gin and tonics with lots of ice and two slices of lime, please! My favorite drink!

Jacki said...

Oh yes, I love the piggie - it's definitely the same generous shape as my beagle dog :-) What a gorgeous garden you have! I've been to the east coast twice; Nova Scotia (mainly Halifax) just once. I did get to the Halifax Public Gardens, but it is lovely to see what people are growing in their own yards out your way. I love that about Fertilizer Friday - I see all kinds of things I would never see here.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Yummm I will have some strawberries with you! I love them! Your blooms like wonderful and I love that piggy! I have never seen a minature petunia! I will have to look for one! Thanks for sharing! Happy FF to you!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Beautiful blooms and I love the pig and those beautiful chairs...

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...