Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Busy Weekend

What a busy weekend I had but what fun it was! I made Crabapple jelly Friday afternoon and went to see "Surrogates" with Bruce Willis Friday night. (Well I didn't GO to the movie with Bruce Willis .... although I would have is he'd have asked me .... and I'd have even bought the popcorn! But what I meant was that he was the star of the movie --- just in case you didn't realize that and thought I had a more affluential circle of friends than I do have.)
***
Yeah ..... okay ......
***
Then Saturday I did soooooo much cooking and baking! (I wish I had pictorial proof, but I will much "floury" to pick up a camera.) I made chili, veg/beef soup, lasagne and a pork chop with apples & sauerkraut casserole (a good German/Lunenburg dish). Then I made 16 tarts (apple and blueberry), an apple/blueberry cake and a banana gingerbread. The tarts were topped with real whipped cream and were mostly inhaled by foreign students by suppertime!! Those little girls!

Saturday evening, I went out with friends. For about 5 years, we've been competing as a team in an annual trivia contest. What fun it is? (And did I mention humiliating??) We are called:
You'd think after all these years, they'd learn to spell the name right!! Oh well, I'm glad they're not on my team!!
***

Here are the two Sandys that the team is named for: ME and my very good friend and ex-next door neighbor Sandy!
***

Next, we have Doug and Glen -- neither of them are serious long enough to get a good picture. But then, this is what they mostly look like during the whole evening. Doug (on the left) is one of the most entertaining people that I know; and Glen is godfather to all my children and was my EX's oldest friend (since age 4)!


***


And these are the long-suffering wives of the two buffoons above. Carol, godmother to all my kids and Kim who is smart enough to mostly ignore Doug! Wonderful people!!




***
Our other usual team members, Tom & Meho, couldn't be there because they're in the process of selling their house. So, we had surprise fill-ins: Mark & Ed. They were great and had quite enormous brains!! So, we were very happy to have them!



***
We actually won 1st place one year, have been 2nd 3 other years and last place last year!!! This year, we had a lot of new teams and more competition. And we came in at a very respectable THIRD!
***
The food was great and the company even better. It was so much fun! (Which is the only reason we annually subject ourselves to this kind of humility!)
***


Then on Sunday, I drove my daughter back to the city and went shopping with my new daughters. Adriana (Mexico) needed a good warm coat and boots because she'll be with me until the end of next June! (Poor little mite is smiling because she has no idea of how much she'll need this coat!!!)

***
And what's a trip to the city without hitting my favorite thrift store, Value Village. The girls didn't mind shopping there (God has blessed me greatly!!); and they even found a few t-shirts for themselves. I bought some pretty Christmas envelopes, a white blouse and these beauties:


***

It's Wednesday ................ and I think I've finally recouperated from my busy weekend!
***
Ahhhhh -- putting my feet up in my pretty new shoes!





7 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow - you were busy! All of that wonderful cooking too. Ever thought about sharing the recipes? (hint, hint).

Darla said...

I'm in for leftovers...are there any? What a great weekend you had!!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic weekend you had. I love crabapple jelly is so darn yummy. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in your kitchen. Sometimes I get on a cooking jag :)
Thanks for dropping by and leaving such a nice comment ;)
M

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Looks like you a very busy weekend! Your going to fatten those little darlings up. aren't ya? You can wear your new blouse accented with your new pumps for your next date with Bruce. Haaheeehee! :o)

Have a fun-filled blessed day!!!

Anonymous said...

Well this is all cool news including the shoes. You are one cooking maniac.

Wanda..... said...

"So" much cooking Sandy, stocking away for colder weather? I smiled about the young girl not knowing how much she will need that coat!Congratulations on your 1st place win!

A human kind of human said...

Sjoe! I feel exhausted just reading your post - what a busy girl! Sounds like you enjoyed it though so I am happily exhausted for you. This trivia contest sounds like lots of fun. My family loves playing trivia board games and it usually turns out hilarious.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...