Tuesday, October 13, 2009

FALL FRUITS FESTIVAL - PUMPKIN

MOLLY B's SCRATCH PUMPKIN PIE

This is another pie I made for Canadian Thanksgiving dinner Oct 11th. I've made pumpkin pies before, but this is the first time I've ever made one from scratch. I ate this a few years ago at my friend Molly B's house; and it was so good, I asked for the recipe.

You should use a sugar pumpkin which are sweeter than a regular pumpkin and are specifically for pies. Peel, cook and mash the pumpkin.

Heat oven to 450 deg; when pie is put into oven, reset to 350 deg.

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cup pumpkin, 1 cup canned evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1 Tbsp melted butter and 2 eggs, slightly beaten.

Mix all ingredients, pour into uncooked pie shell. Bake for 55 min or until knife comes clean.

My friend Molly said she usually doubles this recipe. I did as well because I was using a large 9-10" pie plate. There was a little pumpkin filling left over; I poured that into a small casserole dish and baked it as well (for approx 30 min).

This recipe was just as I remembered -- absolutely delicious. I can say with a doubt that it's the best pumpkin pie I've ever eaten, not because I baked it but because it's just a really good recipe.

Please try it yourself! I'd love to have your feedback.

(And if you have a better recipe, I'd love to have that as well!)

2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Pumpkin pies are one of my favorites and your recipe does sound good. Very often I just use the one on the back of the pumpkin can. I have used the pie pumpkins from scratch too, but not often. Now my oldest takes care of the pies for our Thanksgiving so I'm not baking at all this year.

Unknown said...

Sounds really good! I suppose one of these days I should try actually cooking a pumpkin! Hmmm, so if I were to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving in addition to American Thanksgiving - I could have 2 fabulous meals with turkey and pumpkin, etc.?! :) Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...