- an assortment of her favorite LP's (including your Simon & Garfunkle, Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin)
- the warm, wooly mittens you gave her a few years ago (because winter is acomin!)
- Her two favorite "little old lady hats", as she calls them. (And yes, she has worn them a number of times. She and her friends - both male and female - would have dinner parties where people were to dress up; the girls loved sporting long cotton gloves with their full-skirted dresses or beatnik-style leotards, and the guys wore various hideous sports coats from the '50s & 60's with their jeans. Very cute!)
She also requested her buckwheat pillow and some LaHave Bakery bread.
But Mom also comes bearing unasked-for gifts; necessary Nova Scotia items such as:
- a bottle of Lunenburg County Winery peach wine (for dinner with the possible in-laws!!)
- a bottle of Grand Pre Winery Castel (for sitting around with the youngsters)
- a bottle of blueberry juice (must build-up their imune systems which are sometimes frayed because of wild 20 yr old life-styles)
- a bottle of maple syrup (too expensive for a poor starving artistic couple to purchase)
- Halloween candies (because every home should have some at this time of year)
- Mom's home-made bread and butter pickles (because every home should have some at this time of year)
- Mom's home-made crabapple jelly (because every home should have some at this time of year)
Is there an echo in here??
And what did Mama pack for herself?
Well, along with her comfortable walking shoes; a scarf, gloves & hat; and those nice new-to-me stretch jeans (all with little Polish coffee shops and Italian pastry shops in mind), she packed this necessity: