Saturday, January 23, 2010

What a Combination: Books & Muffins!

I just finished reading "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs.I won't go into a critique of the book; I thought it was okay. But I was pleasantly surprised to find a great sounding muffin recipe in the back of the book. Seeing as I'm staying away from really sugary treats and chocolate (and also seeing as this chocoholic needs something to treat herself with); I thought I'd try it out today.
*
They were delicious! So, I'm going to share them with you.
*
(Don't get too excited! I'll share the recipe ..... but not the muffins!)
*
*
Dakota's Oatmeal Blueberry & Orange Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)
*
1 cup plain rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used 3/4 white and 1/4 whole wheat)
1 tsp each baking powder, baking soda, and salt
1 1/2 cups flaked sweet coconut
Grated rind of one large orange
1 egg
1/2 cup liquid pasteurized honey (I used 1/4 cup)
3 Tbsp canola or extralight olive oil (I used canola)
1 Tbsp vinegar
Juice of 1 orange and add water to make one cup of liquid
1 to 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
*
Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line a muffin tin with paper cups.
*
Combine the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl (oats to salt) Add coconut flakes and orange rind to the dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat the egg. Then incorporate the west ingredients (honey to juice/water). Add wet to the dry and stir till just moistened. Fold in the blueberries.
*
Pour in muffin cups, and bake for 20-25 min and tests clean with a toothpick.
*
Remove from pan & cool on wire rack. (By the time they cooled on my wire rack, there were only 9 left. DON'T ask me how many are left now!)
*
Yum, yum, yum!! Enjoy!
*
Signed ..... Spotty
*
*
PS - I'm healing slowly and itchily!!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

They sound yummy! I love orange flavor in things.

Anita said...

Those sound delicious! I'm going to have to try to get the things together to make them for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for adding the recipe!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Glad you are getting less spotty!
The muffins look delish!
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
HUGS!

A human kind of human said...

Yummmm! Looks delish!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thanks, they not only look very yummy, they look very moist. MMMMMmmm, I'm always on the hunt for something new to cook up. Don't ask hubby, or he'll tell ya' this chick is always cookin' up somethin' new! Heeeheehe!

Have a wonderful day in the Lord, sweet one!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sorry to hear that you are still itching but hope it goes away soon for you. I've read the book but didn't check out the recipes. I will now.

Kathy C. said...

Those sound wonderful! Just the name was intriguing enough, all those flavors together, yum!

Barb said...

I came to visit you from Gaelyn. Hope you are less spotty - I'll eat some chocolate for you. I also read this book but didn't try the recipe. The muffins look delish.

wendy said...

I have that book on my reading list.
and on your sidebar --your all time favorite book, Anne of Green Gables --ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

boy o boy...I want a grab a muffin...they look so yummy. ☺

Sam said...

You're braver than I am... I only cook things that have less than five ingredients.

Anna said...

Dear Sandy,I read your comment in my blog about your friend's journey to Italy. There are so many nice and interesting places to visit!If it's her first visit,she should go to Rome or to Tuscany,for example Florence but also Venice is a very wonderful city!Unfortunately I don't know cheap places where she could stay.I think B&B and half board are cheaper.Three and four star hotels are more expensive.Bye.

Susan said...

Mmmmm, muffins, my favorite baked goods! These look really yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...