Monday, October 29, 2012

Pre-Sandy


How ironic!  Look what's in my Autumn flower box.

Petunias blooming after Saturdy and Sundays beautiful sunshine.

Meanwhile, Nova Scotia is just beginning to feel the effects of Hurricane Sandy.  The winds are picking up and the rain is "pecking" as we say in Newfoundland (sporatic drizzly rainfall).  We'll be hit with the worse of Sandy tomorrow and early Wednesday, but so far, it doesn't seem like she'll hit us full force -- just lots of wind and rain.  We are some of the fortunate ones.



But let's move away from the impending storm and check out  Friday night's Halloween party with the international students.

Thursday night, the girls and I carved pumpkins.  I printed off some pictures from the internet, but they took those ideas and made them their own.  I was so impressed.  Natsumi carved a beautiful homage to her beloved Japan, painstakingly drawing the islands, tracing them on to her pumpkin and then carving around them -- 3 hours of steady work.  I thought it was beautiful.

But it was Elly's pumpkin that won 1st place at the party.  
Nooooo!  Don't eat Korea!

Here are some of the other pumpkins entered.  The cat (lower right) won 2nd place and the owl 3rd.

And here are some of the great costumes:  Elly is the one with the great legs in the upper left picture; Natsumi is the surprised pirate in the upper right; and I am the cowgirl with the natural blond braids!!  

They danced like crazy (Gangnam Style; Moves like Jagger) and sang along with all the Taylor Swift.  And then we had the most awesome pizza! Liverpool is a tiny town with just a few shops; but they have one of the best pizza joints I've ever come across.  Lots of fun.



And thank goodness they got to have that fun because if Sandy has her way, it may be the only Halloween many of them will experience!


Disclaimer:  I would like to apologize for myself and all the other Sandys out there who have nothing to do with this monster storm.  I'm praying she gets blown out to sea and does no more damage.



Stay safe and dry everyone!






  

8 comments:

Pondside said...

As my mum would say 'only take responsibility for what's really yours'.....all you Sandy's out there!

Janet said...

It's the talk of the nation, isn't it - and did you hear that HMS Bounty went down off the Carolinas this morning?

Love the Halloween pics, Sandy - and great pumpkins (something I've never done is carve a pumpkin).

Stay dry :)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Yes Janet, I just heard on the news that the Bounty has sunk and 2 of the crew are missing. So terrible!

Dawn said...

You have to be kidding me, those girls sure are talented with a pumpkin. It was art!! Great job. We are getting the high winds today from the hurricane. Hoping for snow instead of rain, but it looks like rain:( Stay safe!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Even here in northern Ohio we are having high winds and heavy rain from Sandy. Our trick or treat night got moved to the Saturday after Halloween. Take good care and stay warm and dry.

Unknown said...

Looks like a great time was had by all. I am always amazed how some pumpkins get carved! So cool! Living in Florida I can relate to the hurricane issues, be safe!

Marguerite said...

What a great party, I'm super impressed with those pumpkin carvings - some very talented girls there. Stay warm and dry!

Linda said...

The pumpkins are wonderful! What talent! I bet you wish you could keep them for future years. It's a shame they don't last very long. Stay safe!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...