Monday, November 17, 2014

How to lose 40+ lb instantly!

In my never ending search for simplicity and clarity, I spent the weekend power purging the "wreck" room -- a roughly 20' x 24' room. I moved every piece of furniture, opened every drawer, box and suitcase; rearranged, dusted, washed, boxed and bagged.  I worked in increments of 2 hours with a 20-30 min break (for old tired bones and feet, ya know). I ate healthy snacks (Is caramel corn healthy?) and drank lots of water.  And then I treated myself to a healthy yet instant meal from the supermarket after which I indulged in a much deserved epsom salts bath complete with Corona 'n' lime, relaxing music and candle light. I was almost looking like my old self by the time the girls got home from the city. 



Looking at what needed to be done down there was extremely overwhelming. It's something I've been contemplating and procrastinating about for almost a year. I thought about yard sales ...... but I can't carry those boxes up and down stairs alone.  I thought about at least trying to sell some of my Xmas goods at a local sale .... but the tables were gone when I called one.  I'd tried to get my daughters to give a list of what they want .... but nothing has materialized to date.  And then I realized that as I age, my energy and health keeps deteriorating; so it was never going to get any easier. 

This weekend, I had 2 full days, some energy and the willpower to tackle the job. And I'm so glad I did it. Saying goodbye to new and/or nearly new Xmas goods (that would have brought good money at a yard sale) was the hardest things to let go of. Parting with the books was kinda hard. But finally letting go of the clothes "that will fit me when I lose 20 lb" ..... that was easy. It's just NOT going to happen.

What a sense of accomplishment! In total, 4 bags of Christmas, 4 boxes of books and 16 --- yes 16 --- black garbage bags of clothing and knick-knacks have left the building, Elvis! 
(Psst: A lot of them are actually lining my upstairs hallway waiting their turn to get packed into the trunk of the car and brought to some happy local thrift shop.)


Ahhhh!  I feel lighter already -- mentally as well as physically. 

And I can find stuff. 

And my body didn't fare too badly given all the ups and downs on the stepladder and the climbing stairs.  

Except for my poor tootsies.  About 2-3 years ago, the fat pads from my feet migrated to my waist and hips. I'm not into crocs and support hose yet (the future looms big!), but a foot soak and some soft slippers are my best friends. Next to that Corona and caramel corn, that is!





6 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

This hit home because I just got rid of 3 bags of clothes and 2 huge boxes of knicknacs. Only I didn't have the relaxing bath and Corona & Lime. maybe next time. You have inspired me to keep going.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm very much in to Crocs these days. They spoil my feet and now I rarely wear other shoes at all when I'm at home. Glad you were able to get so much done. I'm waiting until after the holidays.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Thanks for the smiles you gave me reading this! I have several boxes full of photos. I know many of them need to be tossed and I can't bring myself to open them and start. Someday soon I'm going to remember your purging and dig in. You motivate me. Blessings. Barb

CJ said...

Loved this post! I need to do the same in my sewing room.

Deborah said...

OMgosh Sandy; this type of thing has been top-of-mind for me for MONTHS! Good on you for this!! You may just have inspired me to dig in to my basement (otherwise known as the dungeon of crap) and get rid of stuff we haven't looked at in years.

Good job!

Jenny Woolf said...

I don't know what it is like where you live but here in UK several charities will COME AND COLLECT the stuff, even furniture! a relaxing way to do it....

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...