Monday, November 20, 2017

Time Keeps on Slippin', Slippin', Slippin' .....


How fast does time fly these days! Remember when we were younger and the days spread out before us like a never-ending road. Now when you blink, a week has past! How does that happen (especially when you're NOT having fun)?

I do remember though how I've told myself for the past couple of years to get certain Christmas chores done early because time does creep up on me. 

  • So, I've composed my annual letter and sent my packages overseas ('cause Canada Post is so expensive, one must use the "surface" mail and it takes 6 weeks!). 
  • I've addressed my Xmas cards (and now they're ready for their individual 'personal' notes and to be stuffed into envelopes). 
  • The few gifts I buy these days are purchased.
  • And I've baked and wrapped my Xmas cakes. 
But every year, American Thanksgiving comes and I'm running round the house saying "OMG! Only one month until Xmas".  I don't stress about it; after all, my life has gotten a lot simpler these days and less is expected of me at Xmas. But it does motivate me to make my list of Xmas Musts and try to make a time schedule. And I think we all can agree that all sorts of additional stuff crops up at this time of year that will take our precious time in other directions.  So, I try to be as organized as possible.

But I still haven't found a way to slow down time. I've read quite a few articles on this subject and have adopted suggestions such as these by becoming more mindful. I don't overfill my days; I've culled my Facebook list of 'friends' and I limit time spent with the negative people in my life that can't be cut out (read 'family'!). I've organized and simplified. But time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' ... into the future.

The passage of time is one of the few things in life that we can do nothing about! We can only find ways to enjoy the ride as much as possible. I'll just keep on trying.





I hope you do too. In the meantime, let's hear a little Steve Miller.








5 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh, I always did love the Steve Miller band! I an like you Sandy. My time evaporates into thin air it seems. You are very organised! I have nothing done much for Christmas, save I Christmas Pudding and a shawl for my mother. Why does this happen to me every year? It’s a mystery. I say next year it will be different and then, it is not. Sigh ...

TARYTERRE said...

i practice mindfulness when i can. it helps slow down the clock. seriously it does. i appreciate the song.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Slowing down and appreciating what we have in each moment does help for sure ! You are so organized there and that helps too. Taking time to plan and make those lists helps to prioritize our time. Good reminder for us !

Kay G. said...

You sound just like me! Honestly, I know when Thanksgiving and Christmas happens every year but it sneaks up on me EVERY TIME!

Vonlipi said...

The older we grow, the faster time goes by....I don’t know why...it just is

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...