Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Happy Pie Day!

I love a good slice of pie (or 2 ... or 3 even). My Mom made the most wonderful pie crust:  crisp and flakey, not too "fatty" -- a perfect crust! "It's easy," she'd say to me.  But I could never replicate it.

When I was an at-home Mum in Nova Scotia in the late 80's (the apple capital of the world), we'd buy huge 20 lb bags of apples in the fall for under $10. I would bake pie after pie after pie and gift some to friends; but I'd always have at least half a dozen in the freezer. I've gotten out of the habit and my pie crust isn't as good as it used to be, so I don't bake many pies now a days.

But I still love a good pie; and it hardly matters what flavor (although I will choose cherry a la mode if it's available). My ex's mother used to make the most wonderful squash pie (substitute for pumpkin) -- spicy, deep and rich. And I'm always on the look out for the best coconut cream. 


Not my pie but mine is similar
and tastes just as good!

Today's lunch is pie! Yesterday I decided to add some cornbread to the top of my chili and VOILA! Instant (cheater) tamale pie, a favorite savory pie in our household! 

And oh, couldn't you just swoon at the sight and taste of a good meat-filled hand pie. The Farmer's Market in Lunenburg NS sold the most wonderful hand-pies. The perfect lunch huh:  so convenient and comforting and delicious!


I don't know about your area, but I haven't heard of anyone giving out free pie today. Darn!!! But I hope that you do get to eat pie today in whatever form you enjoy.




7 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

No free pie here but I do have a slice in the freezer. I'll have to thaw it out so I can have pie on pi day too !

Jeanie said...

I've never been a pie maker or not much of a pie eater -- though every now and then, nothing beats it! I'm not great with pi either!

Stacey said...

Oh yes I love pie! I love cake too and just shared a cake recipe but in the end, I would rather have pie. The crust...love it!

Barbara said...

I love pie too though I have never tried to bake one. As soon as I retire again, I'm going to learn to bake.

Kay G. said...

If you ever make a pie and you don't think it is good enough, just send it to me. I promise I will love it! :-)

Valerie said...

I was always a lazy cook but loved eating food prepared by other people!! Of course, that includes pies.

TARYTERRE said...

celebrating pie day a little late here. enjoyed hearing about all yours.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...