Friday, February 5, 2021

Hello February!


I like the month of February. I know it's usually the worst winter month with loads and loads of snow and blowing and icy cold temperatures. (Although this winter, global warming has brought western NL very little snow and a fair amount of rain. I can see green (well brown) out there today!) 

But February is also the shortest month. AND I've always enjoyed Valentine's Day because regardless of people or life, I treat myself that day ('cause most of the time, I love me.)

Wading through Covid can be pretty disheartening and boring. So I'm really thankful that for the second time during this pandemic, Best in the West have begun another competition to raise monies for local charities and non-profits. November 2020 was a burger competition. February 2021 is a sandwich competition. 

Being a good upstanding member of the community, I must do my best to support them! 

On Monday, my co-workers and I tried Newfoundland-Comfort-Food's sandwich: a hickory-smoked, pulled pork-rib sandwich with lettuce, tomato, tangy sauce, mozzarella and  coleslaw. It was very delicious!



Today we tried the pulled buffalo-chicken sandwich from Aromas-Plus. The chicken had just enough spice to warm the inside of your mouth; it was served on a brioche bun with mozzarella and lime slaw. The 2 deep fried pickles were divine! The kettle chips were homemade and so good ..... but I just sampled those and had an almond/mandarin orange salad instead.

There are 24 sandwiches to choose from in my local area (and 30 in total). And while I know it's for a good cause, I especially like the competition because it adds a little bit of extra and much needed lightness to this Covid lifestyle. Lord knows we all need that.


I hope your weekend is a good one and that you're eating well too!






1 comment:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your sandwiches sound very good. Glad you got such a treat. Right now we need all of them we can get!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...