Friday, February 8, 2013

Spring arrived in a box!

I recently rec'd a little unexpected bonus money from my Mama.  Now,
  • I could have gone thrifting ..... but I do that all the time and I wanted to do something special with this money.
  • I could have bought $100 worth of good chocolate ..... and as special as chocolate is, I am trying to cut back.
  • I could have put it directly on a bill like any sensible budget-conscious woman would do ..... but I follow my budget.
  • And Mama did say "Buy yourself something nice".
So, what did this little woman do?  I went online shopping at this place http://www.replacements.com/)
:
 


You know why I went shopping there?  They carry Petals dishes by Oneida which as some of you know I've been painstakenly collecting at thrift stores for the past 4 years.  I decided to order some pieces to make up a few place settings.


Yesterday, spring arrived in a box! 
Aren't those colors gorgeous!  It makes me think of Easter bunnies (and chocolate eggs!!).  I didn't even know the Light blue color existed until I found their website.  The one color not featured in it's own solo shot is Cobalt blue and not black as it looks in the compilation picture.  All I'm missing to complete this 6 pc place setting is a Light blue bowl and a Marigold yellow dinner plate. 

And I know my food will taste so much better when I serve my guests on these pretty dishes.
   
The package only took a week to arrive from NC; and they did the best packing job I've ever seen.  I highly recommend Replacements Ltd.

Meanwhile, feeling sad and lonely on the plate rack are the lone pieces waiting for companions. 

I'm hoping that the thrift store gods will continue to smile on me and I'll be able to find some more pieces.

Either that or another financial windfall!


Those of you on the US Eastern seaboard, we're expecting tonight what you're getting today.  I've battened down the hatches and have a stockpile fit to withstand a siege.

Stay warm and safe y'all!  



11 comments:

Sara said...

Lovely!! Wonderful colours!

Janet said...

Fabulous, Sandy!! The colors are so vibrant and joyful!

Glad to hear you're stocked and ready. Went to the store today and walked out when I saw the massive line-up (oh, my). We're stocked, lots of wood for the woodstove, and I'll fill the tub tonight so that we have water (just in case). Stay safe :)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Those are so pretty and fit your wonderful, colorful personality to a T.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a lovely way to spend the gift you got from your mom. They do look like Springtime! Hope you stay safe and warm from the winter storm.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

What a beautiful set of dishes.
Yay for you!!!
Great purchase. Nothing makes me feel better than a beautiful table.
Your guests will love those dishes.
Blessings, Barb

Pamela Gordon said...

These are beautiful colours, Sandy. I think I mentioned before that I'd never heard of Petals dish ware. It sure is pretty and very springy looking.

Linda said...

I love those dishes!! Beautiful colors! I remember my grandmother had a set of Fiestaware. Nothing can pick up your winter blahs like eating off that dinnerware. What a great mom you have to gift you with some extra buying power! Have a great weekend.....stay safe and warm.

Marguerite said...

Good for you buying something fun. Gifts are meant to be enjoyed and you are certainly going to enjoy these for many years.

Jan said...

OMGosh, Replacements Ltd is THE best china service on the 'net. I collect several different place settings of Homer Laughlin day china from the 40s and 50s and they're my #1 go-to source. SO glad I found your blog and I'm glad you bought yourself something! -- Jan

Pat MacKenzie said...

What beautiful dishes, great colors. I had never heard of them before. Did the storm hit there in NS? Time to cosy down and drink some hot chocolate out of the pretty green cup.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Oh boy, those are gorgeous! And yes, food always tastes better when served on pretty dishes.

Stay warm and safe!

Becky

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...