Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Dum Paneer Kali Mirch

I love Indian food:  the rich, wonderful aromas and the varied  mixtures of spices and herbs.  I've had the opportunity to view quite a number of TV cooking shows over the past 6 months that have featured Indian cooking and techniques.  And with so many wonderful vegetarian recipes to choose from, it was a natural choice for this new vegetarian venture.  

A foodie friend of mine often grills paneer; so when I found this recipe -- Dum Paneer Kali Mirch -- I was happy to have an opportunity to try cooking it myself.  Paneer is a fresh, unripened cheese used in many South Asian dishes.  Although it's not hard to make yourself, I purchased mine from the supermarket.

It took time to cut and chop and then blend & grind the 2 pastes.  But once that's done, the cooking time is short.  
While the paneer simmered on the back burner, I prepared an easy potato and green bean curry, steamed some rice and added some spicy roti flatbread.


Unfortunately, the potato/green bean curry was a bit of a dud as the curry powder I used (discovered at the back of the cupboard during a recent clean) was old and, I believe, had lost its pungency.  Sad!  Edible but sad.

But the paneer was lovely!  The cheese itself has a delicate taste and texture, and the sauce was again quite mild and delicate. This went very well with the plain rice and roti.  Still, I think next time I will play around with the flavoring a little and see if I can bring out more oomph .... a touch more cumin, coriander and perhaps garam masala. (I'll scout around other recipes for comparison.) And I'd probably serve it next time with simple sliced veggies like ripe juicy tomatoes and red onions.


I'd give this dish a 7 out of 10 on the yum scale.  


Definitely worth a repeat!




4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

This SOUNDS delicious. I love Indian food too. I use a lot of garam masala in my cooking.

kate steeper said...

I love paneer, but it's a guilty pleasure , nobody else in the house will touch it

Jack Tyler said...

Hi, Sandy! It's been long, but I'm back, and am passing the word of your blog along to my readers. You used to know me as the blogger at Jack's Hideout, which has been defunct now for over two years. After I got serious about being a writer, I changed my address. If you'd care to visit me again, you can find me at http://steampunkjack.weebly.com/blog. I didn't intend for this to be an ad for my blog, so please feel free to delete this comment after you've seen it.

sabine ingerl said...

I get hungry when reading your post, Doris! I love Indian food too. Lately I made Paneer by myself. It is just easy. I love how the cheese take over the flavour of the spices, of Garam Masala and Kukurma.
Sabine xxx

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...