Friday, February 24, 2023

Farewell to my BFF

 My baby sister passed away yesterday after complications arising from Covid.  

I knew her for 65 years, but we only really became friends about 20 years ago. And after my move back home 6.5 years ago, we began to make up for all the lost years apart and all the silly things that we would have/should have done when we were younger. We'd have slumber parties at my house where'd we toast each other and dance around the house wearing curtains and flower baskets on our heads. We did soooo many day trips and weekends away where I could rediscover the wonders of Newfoundland and she broke away from her duties as a housewife. She nursed both her MIL and her husband through their cancers, and then she fought and survived cancer herself. She'd never been in the best of health, and once Covid hit her last August, it damaged her heart and lungs so badly that she never recovered. We spoke every day! We both loved each other - warts and all. Out of us 5 siblings, she definitely was the best of us; the one with the biggest heart and the glue that's held our family connection together since our parents died.


I will miss her terribly. But I'm so happy to have been able to make such wonderful memories and for having the privilege of hanging with her. 

Hug your family a little tighter for me tonight okay. Life is short and cruel so we need reserves of love and memory to keep us pliant!


Namaste y'all!


6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That's a great tribute to your sister. Glad you had that time together to make some wonderful memories. Keep the good memories close to your heart. That way you'll always have your sister close by.

Kay G. said...

Draw on those reserves of love and memory, that is very well put. As MA said above, you have given us a beautiful tribute to your sister. I can just picture you both dancing around, "cutting up", is what we called it as I was growing up. Take care. x

bahnwärterin said...

it´s wonderful that you had so many good years with your sister! all the good memories are a forever treasure.
a hearty hug! xxx

Abby said...

I'm sure you were a bright light in her too-short life. Lovely tribute, my condolences. May she rest in peace.

Jeanie said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Sandy. That has to be terribly hard.

FabricDiva54 said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Keep the good memories of your sister and the relationship you shared close to your heart. Such a young woman. Much love to you and your family during this difficult time.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...