Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Just more snow .... and food .... and TV

 Yep! That's my week in review in a nutshell. It snowed every day, and last week, the temperatures were bloody cold, so I usually only got out for a short walk. There was lots of TV viewing: this month's favorite is a British/French program called The Tunnel: there are 3 seasons on CBC Gem (Canada); and the series is really, really good. (I believe The Bridge is an American/Mexican adaptation of the same, at least for Season 1.)

My 19 month old grandson loves to go outdoors in the snow. But he had croup last week, so had to stay indoors. I sat with him one afternoon; he'd take me to the front door, touch it, then touch the sleeve of my hanging coat and say "Goat? Goat?" Then he'd touch the door again! I felt like such a bad grandma having to say no. But I found that his nummy and dinosaur rubber boots helped him settle.  Usually I can divert his attention with food, and that day, he was happy to practice putting his puffs into his bottle, shaking them out, and starting again. (The dogs were happy to help with clean up.) I'm glad he's feeling much better this week.

Now that I'm retired, my income is limited to once a month. I don't bring in much, just my Gov't CPP and OAP. My new rent (including heat) is based on income, thank the gods! But once phone, internet and insurance is taken out, it doesn't allow me much for groceries. I began retirement with the larder and freezer full. But as each month passes, the reserves get lower and lower. Thankfully I've always been a frugal food shopper and can make things stretch. But these days, I must be very clever with using what I have on hand to make tasty meals and treats. 


This week's cooking includes mini meatballs for spaghetti night,  Lentil 'n' Beef Sheppard's Pie and, as usual, a pot of vegetable/lentil soup. Soup is so comforting!  I had picked up a discounted steak that I had for dinner last night: I tenderized it a little, sprinkled with Montreal Steak Spice, let sit for 30 min, then fried with oodles of onions. It was sooo good! The leftover steak was chopped and used in todays Ramen; equally delicious!

For my sweet tooth, I used the rest of the Xmas frozen puff pastry and a half dozen apples that were beginning to spot. I made my version of TikTok's apple custard pie; I didn't have cream, so I used whole milk; and the only difference that made was that my custard wasn't set like a traditional custard. But the taste was wonderful!


Today, I made what was supposed to be a healthy rice crispie treat with Medjule dates, peanut butter and rice crispies. Buttttt .... hating to throw out food, I tossed a couple of months-old healthy nut and raisin bars into the processor with the dates. Added crunch, I thought! I was right on that part, but they're more crumbly than should be. Thank goodness I topped these with some melted dark chocolate! Although it doesn't help that much with keeping the squares together, at least you can take any lonely chocolate tops and smush them into the fallen crumbles. Yummy!

If you have any good frugal recipes or if you know of any other bloggers who have good tips, please feel free to share with me. I do love to cook and eat!

Namaste y'all!




4 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've always had to watch my money and my favorite way to stretch out what we ate was making casseroles with rice or noodles. Soups are a good way to do that and my list of soups to make include broccoli and potato. It can be done! Where there is the will there is a way !

carolg said...

Long time follower, first time commenter. :-)

I'd suggest following The Frugal Girl https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/ One of her greatest gifts to me is homemade yogurt. A big container of yogurt is $5-$6 USD - a gallon of milk at $3.50 plus a little tub of yogurt for a starter makes 4 quarts and it's delicious! And once you make it you don't have to keep buying a starter (although I refresh now and then.) Also granola! So expensive! Her recipe is fabulous!

bahnwärterin said...

glad your little grandson is on the mend!
as for cooking - you´r doing very well and smart. espacially the baking, i´m only baking bread (wheatfree, simple affair) and apple tarte twice a year......
but i have to cook daily. hearty meals for the man in the house... i never use convenience beside of canned tomatoes (much cheaper and riper the the fresh ones most of the year) ore beans (saves cooking gas) nor frozen stuff. we eat tons of lokal potatoes which we get in 10kg sacks directly from the farm, always cooked in the peel a big pot for the next 3 days. then rice in every thinkable recipe, polenta, spelt pasta - all topped with fresh veggies mostly bought in the sale. good oils and lots of spices and butter/cheese/cottage chease.... once a moth some good meat.
and i have the garden - 5 zucchini plants fed us the whole summer and still in form of canned ones (in glass jars with a spritz of tomatoe passata).
i plan a minimalism post about cooking too..... stay tuned.
xxxxx

bahnwärterin said...

ps: of cause you can stalk my blog for simple recipes, there are many :-D
xxxx

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...